Are my convicts breeding or fighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cichlid_man

Reaction score
I have one pair of convict cichlids in there own separate tank because they were showing signs of breeding but today when I woke up the female convict was badly injured any help is appreciated

Do you see the male going after the female aggressively? You should consider separating the fish until the female heals up. I had 8 chiclids in a 55 gallon tank, I had to remove all the other fish because they were aggressive especially when breeding and having young. I do not recall seeing them attack each other except when fighting over territory. Then it was a pair (m/f) fighting any fish trespassing.

Do you see the male going after the female aggressively? You should consider separating the fish until the female heals up. I had 8 chiclids in a 55 gallon tank, I had to remove all the other fish because they were aggressive especially when breeding and having young. I do not recall seeing them attack each other except when fighting over territory. Then it was a pair (m/f) fighting any fish trespassing.
Yea the male is sort of chasing the female into the cave and is not letting it out and if she escapes the male starts biting the girl

I would definitely separate them. Convicts usually pair easily - but sometimes the bonding does not last long. Sounds like she needs some time alone to recoup. When reintroducing her, I would watch her like a hawk.

What size is the aquarium? What else is in the aquarium?

I would definitely separate them. Convicts usually pair easily - but sometimes the bonding does not last long. Sounds like she needs some time alone to recoup. When reintroducing her, I would watch her like a hawk.

What size is the aquarium? What else is in the aquarium?
Nothing else in the aquarium and it’s a 3 feet by 1 feet

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back