Are My Blue Rams Breeding Already?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought 3 Blue Rams last Friday & have noticed tonight that 2 of them are acting 'a little strange' :lol: they don't appear to be fighting as neither of them are backing off so I assume this is a mating ritual? Please feel free to check out the video (sorry about the quality - it was on my phone) & let me know your opinion - I'm quite surprised as the dirty lil beggars have only been in the tank for 3 days! If they do breed successfully what is the best thing to feed them & should I let the parents look after them or use the breeding trap until they're big enough?
http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu293/dant1875/?action=view&current=blueram.flv
Dan

Lip locking like your video shows is usually fighting, though with some fish the female tests the male this way. But neither of the fish in your video have a pink abdomen (female). It's hard to see the fish clearly - are they both male?

Is it possible to post pics of the two fish for gender ID?

Looks like 2 males to me and fairly young too. If it's only been a few days, they're probably battling it out to show who is boss. Depending on the size of your tank, I'd look at taking one back if they don't calm down after a few days.

Just seen that you have three. What's the third one like? Is it hiding away all the time from the other two or what?

Looks like 2 males to me and fairly young too. If it's only been a few days, they're probably battling it out to show who is boss. Depending on the size of your tank, I'd look at taking one back if they don't calm down after a few days.

Just seen that you have three. What's the third one like? Is it hiding away all the time from the other two or what?
They've been at it a little bit today apparently, but they all seem fine now. The third one is smaller than the other two & occasionally gets chased, but never for very long & at the moment one of the bigger ones is happily following it round the tank with no aggression at all. The two that were fighting are totally different in their coloration - one has vivid wertical black markings & the other is quite drab, but has a faint horizontal black marking & a bright pink nose (don't know if that helps at all). All 3 are always out & never shy away, but they will not stay still long enough for me to get a decent picture :shout: . The tank should be big enough - its 300 litres & I've got plenty of hiding spaces & foliage in there. Is there a (relatively) easy way to tell the sex?

Lip locking like your video shows is usually fighting, though with some fish the female tests the male this way. But neither of the fish in your video have a pink abdomen (female). It's hard to see the fish clearly - are they both male?

Is it possible to post pics of the two fish for gender ID?
I've tried & tried, but they won't stay still long enough & my fish photography skills are amateur at best :lol: is the pink abdomen the only way to check? The more drab looking of the two has a pink nose?

After checking out the earlier post from Mayu on sexing Rams, I reckon the two that were fighting are male & female & the smaller one is also a male possibly - although that is only based on the blue sheen not showing through the black! Don't know if it helps or not???

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back