Are my apistos getting ready to mate?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It finally happened! :D
20211022_201935.jpg

So the first batch of eggs didn't work out. I assume the female ate them. Caught these two in the act last night and now the cave is full of eggs again! Fingers crossed this time!

20211126_220949.jpg
20211126_215423.jpg

Lovely looking fish. Try to stay away from the tank. Stay right away and leave them to it. Your great big shadow coming up to the tank can be enough to make them eat their eggs. Don't worry about food, they are too busy to care about eating. I know it will be hard to do, but they need complete peace and quiet

Lovely looking fish. Try to stay away from the tank. Stay right away and leave them to it. Your great big shadow coming up to the tank can be enough to make them eat their eggs. Don't worry about food, they are too busy to care about eating. I know it will be hard to do, but they need complete peace and quiet
The only issue is their tank is on a rack with 2 other tanks so i have to be around there when i'm feeding the other fish. I don't hover around there for long though, i just drop the food and leave them be.

The only issue is their tank is on a rack with 2 other tanks so i have to be around there when i'm feeding the other fish. I don't hover around there for long though, i just drop the food and leave them be.
Try hanging a towel or blanket in front of their tank

I never had an issue with my fish being shy or stressing when I was near them. Quite the contrary, the more time you spend with the fish, the less shy they become and the less they care about you looking in their caves.

Old school theory for discus was to keep them in a quiet dark room and nobody went near them. The fish always became shy and spooked when people approached. Back in the 80s I told people to keep their fish in areas where lots of people moved around. The fish got use to this and tame down very quickly and don't shy away.

My ciclid are never shy and often greet me to eat (well one of the hongsoli is a bit weary) but after 2 years my L204 and sterbai both scatter when i walk over to the tank - esp the L204 and when they scatter they get everyone else to run 'cept the red fin otto that could care less what i do - heck i can reach right in and pet them and they could care less (I don't because it is not good for them but still....); Of the 7 L204 i have only one seems to be bold and ignore me.

Last edited:
I 1/2 agree with @Colin_T -- you feeding your fish is not going to make them eat their eggs etc. I disagree that putting them in a high traffic area will inherently make all fish outgoing - as some species (apistos it seems even more so) are naturally shy. My cacatouides male is extremely shy, the female is not. I cannot get him used to my presence.

My tank with inch (70) 1 inch cacatouides are VERY skittish - but more trusting once you feed them.

I would say that likely your fish are still learning parenting. My cacatouides pair are EXCELLENT parents but recently have eaten their last two batches for reasons beyond me. It's a mixture of experience, security & form our perspective - luck.

I 1/2 agree with @Colin_T -- you feeding your fish is not going to make them eat their eggs etc. I disagree that putting them in a high traffic area will inherently make all fish outgoing - as some species (apistos it seems even more so) are naturally shy. My cacatouides male is extremely shy, the female is not. I cannot get him used to my presence.

My tank with inch (70) 1 inch cacatouides are VERY skittish - but more trusting once you feed them.

I would say that likely your fish are still learning parenting. My cacatouides pair are EXCELLENT parents but recently have eaten their last two batches for reasons beyond me. It's a mixture of experience, security & form our perspective - luck.
None of my apistos (M+F Agassizi and M+F Cacatouides) are shy at all. In fact they always come to the front of the tank when they see me walking by. Funny how they all have their own little personalities.

I agree, it's probably just them still learning as they've only recently started laying eggs. Hopefully i can get a batch of babies soon!

None of my apistos (M+F Agassizi and M+F Cacatouides) are shy at all. In fact they always come to the front of the tank when they see me walking by. Funny how they all have their own little personalities.

I agree, it's probably just them still learning as they've only recently started laying eggs. Hopefully i can get a batch of babies soon!
Very intriguing. I've owned Borelli in the past and cacatouides 2 other times and they have always been super timid in my experience.

I wish mine came right to the tank!

My borelli are not that timid - well not the male - the female is a different matter but she still shows up for food.

These snails are pi**ing me off! Looked in the cave and the eggs were gone....stupid little bladder snail was in there though! Might have to go on a full on cull of the snails because both times now the eggs have disappeared when a snail goes into the cave.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back