Are my apistos getting ready to mate?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
These snails are pi**ing me off! Looked in the cave and the eggs were gone....stupid little bladder snail was in there though! Might have to go on a full on cull of the snails because both times now the eggs have disappeared when a snail goes into the cave.
The challenges of breeding fish are so much fun. Now, is it the snails, is it you, is it the attitude of the fish,or is it just because that is life and next time doing nothing it will all work out swimmingly.

that's why you don't have snails, shrimp or anything else in a breeding tank, they eat the eggs and babies.

The challenges of breeding fish are so much fun. Now, is it the snails, is it you, is it the attitude of the fish,or is it just because that is life and next time doing nothing it will all work out swimmingly.
Lucky i'm not breeding fish to keep food on the table or i'd be dead from starvation by now 😆

that's why you don't have snails, shrimp or anything else in a breeding tank, they eat the eggs and babies.
I'll do my best to get all the snails out, the shrimp that are in there are sh*t scared of the apistos so they just hide, they'd be pretty brave to venture into Mrs Agassizi's cave.

The fishes should be able to fend of bladder snails; i had one hongsloi that was very good at keeping the mystery snails away; though it took some effort.

I stand corrected - apparently mine are just the most shy on the planet. My male is so shy that why he eats pellets he snags one and darts away to go hide in the plants to eat.

I would add dithers but I don't want the fry to be eaten.

** That male cacatouides is BEAUTIFUL.

I stand corrected - apparently mine are just the most shy on the planet. My male is so shy that why he eats pellets he snags one and darts away to go hide in the plants to eat.

I would add dithers but I don't want the fry to be eaten.

** That male cacatouides is BEAUTIFUL.
Generally speaking pencil fishes are fry safe. Also I don't know factually but I suspect kubotai rasbora are also fry safe.

I'm impressed that your cardinals show no fear; mine (after 9 months) are still very shy esp when i go near the aquarium....
They used to be shy when I had about 9 of them in that tank on their own. Then I added another 6 and the apistos and they became really brave for some reason. Now they hang out at the front of the tank where I normally feed them.

Generally speaking pencil fishes are fry safe. Also I don't know factually but I suspect kubotai rasbora are also fry safe.
Good thought. A quick google shows on another reputable forum dedicated to apistogramma that several breeders there use them without issue.

They used to be shy when I had about 9 of them in that tank on their own. Then I added another 6 and the apistos and they became really brave for some reason. Now they hang out at the front of the tank where I normally feed them.
Hum. I only have 9 in the 29; so I need a black hat with 6 more... actually one of them has gotten a bit more bold the past week. One the issue in that tank is i have some L204; and they are super shy and when they scatter they do it quite fast and everyone runs with them.
29w_new.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back