Are fish science flakes any good?

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've heard that the best flake food for fish are the tetra flakes but I've noticed that both my LFS mainly stock fish science flakes, just wondering if anyone has used them and thinks they're any good?

Flakes are generally not the best. They can cause fish to get bloated. I would get pellets instead. New Life Spectrum, Bug Bites, Hikari, and Omega One are all good brands.

In addition to the foods listed above, adding frozen foods now and then is also good for the fish. They are fresher and more natural, but unless they have been fortified should not be the sole food source.

In addition to the foods listed above, adding frozen foods now and then is also good for the fish. They are fresher and more natural, but unless they have been fortified should not be the sole food source.

That's the impression I got, it's nice to give the fish some live food every now and again but that it shouldn't be their main food source.

I feed a mixture. I currently have Omega One flakes, Northfin community formula pellets, Northfin kelp wafers, and Northfin bug pro. As I have mainly small fish, they all get crushed up before going in the tank.

This makes interesting reading - it will take longer than usual to load as the page no longer exists so we have to access it via Wayback Machine

I feed a mixture. I currently have Omega One flakes, Northfin community formula pellets, Northfin kelp wafers, and Northfin bug pro. As I have mainly small fish, they all get crushed up before going in the tank.

This makes interesting reading - it will take longer than usual to load as the page no longer exists so we have to access it via Wayback Machine

Do you think it would be best to feed a mixture of flakes and pellets/granules then? As well as the occasional batch of live food.

I tend to feed half flakes and half one of the other three on rotation each day. On some days I replace the dry food with frozen food. The 4 dry foods I use are not available in shops so I get them on-line. Other members have used Fluval bug bites - these were not available yet when that article was written.

Unlike other members I have never had a problem feeding flake to my fish. The only fish which feed from the actual surface are the gouramis, the rest catch it as it falls or feed off the bottom.

I tend to feed half flakes and half one of the other three on rotation each day. On some days I replace the dry food with frozen food. The 4 dry foods I use are not available in shops so I get them on-line. Other members have used Fluval bug bites - these were not available yet when that article was written.

Unlike other members I have never had a problem feeding flake to my fish. The only fish which feed from the actual surface are the gouramis, the rest catch it as it falls or feed off the bottom.

Ah that makes sense, the reason I'm thinking about granuels is because I've found some decent ones that are made up of insect matter and the five banded barbs I'm getting like to munch on insects in their natural habitat. Although they're omnivores so will take vegetable flakes and pellets as well.

@Darter217 Bear in mind that some of AbbeysDad's recommendations are not available in the UK.

I've had a read of some stuff and it was rather interesting, I wouldn't have known any better and would've just gone for flakes otherwise. I think I'm going to start off with a combination of Fish science tropical granuels and some New Life Spectrum pellets with the garlic in them, I've heard good things about them being good for fish that are slightly stressed whilst adjusting to a new tank.

Hi @Essjay I'm going to take you back nearly 3 years here! I was rooting around and found this. The link still works. It's a long read, but there are some things I wanted to highlight on the forum. Do you mind if I cut & paste the most interesting parts onto a thread? I will link in the original link so people can see the whole thing.

That site no longer exists so it is not a rival forum. As long as you acknowledge the original author/website there should be no problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back