Are Ferts Sufficient?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Also,the Forum really needs to warn people to avoid Pleco's in plant tanks..they do not go together. Nothing more than an Ancistrus species as common types get too large and WILL rip up plants as they bulldoze in larger sizes.
A medium sized common Pleco,can eat down your prized driftwood down to spindles in a year.
I never hear anybody warn people that large Plecos only belong in large fish,non plant tanks. But they do!

Also,the Forum really needs to warn people to avoid Pleco's in plant tanks..they do not go together. Nothing more than an Ancistrus species as common types get too large and WILL rip up plants as they bulldoze in larger sizes.
A medium sized common Pleco,can eat down your prized driftwood down to spindles in a year.
I never hear anybody warn people that large Plecos only belong in large fish,non plant tanks. But they do!
Most plecos sold in pet stores as babies can reach up to two feet, so yeah they need bigger tanks. A couple that stay smaller and shouldnt bust up plants are bristlenose, rubberlips, that get around 5 inches and clown plecos that get about 3 inches.
The problem with most fish stores is they tell people they need an algae eater for their tank to keep it clean, without any regard to what that fish needs. Plecos dont eat a ton of algae and produce more waste than they actually clean. If one likes plecos get one but dont get one just because some jackwagon at the fish store said itll keep your tank clean.
:(

Ancistrus species as common types get too large and WILL rip up plants as they bulldoze in larger sizes.
Are you suggesting that BNs won't bulldoze the plants (and everything else in the tank)? o_O
Please feel free to come and have a word with mine!

I am aware of how big most plecos can get. However, the pleco I have is a clown pleco and will only grow to 3 inches.

The problem with most fish stores is they tell people they need an algae eater for their tank to keep it clean, without any regard to what that fish needs. Plecos dont eat a ton of algae and produce more waste than they actually clean. If one likes plecos get one but dont get one just because some jackwagon at the fish store said itll keep your tank clean.

I agree, most fish stores do tend to push plecos on everyone who walks into the store, but luckily I go to a fish store that cares a lot about the fish they are selling, and if they feel a fish is not a good tank mate or will outgrow the tank it is going into, they let people know. (Last time I was there, a woman wanted to buy a goldfish to put in her betta tank and a staff member talked her out of it.)

But, I have to disagree with you when it comes to how much algae a pleco eats. When I put him into my aquarium, it was filled with algae. Within three days, it was completely clean. Plus, I had a fun time watching him eat it ;).

I am aware of how big most plecos can get. However, the pleco I have is a clown pleco and will only grow to 3 inches.

I agree, most fish stores do tend to push plecos on everyone who walks into the store, but luckily I go to a fish store that cares a lot about the fish they are selling, and if they feel a fish is not a good tank mate or will outgrow the tank it is going into, they let people know. (Last time I was there, a woman wanted to buy a goldfish to put in her betta tank and a staff member talked her out of it.)

But, I have to disagree with you when it comes to how much algae a pleco eats. When I put him into my aquarium, it was filled with algae. Within three days, it was completely clean. Plus, I had a fun time watching him eat it ;).
Cool ive always wanted a clown pleco, ive had rubber lips and bristlenose but never clown. Glad to hear hes working out for you :)

It is true that this species, Panaqolus maccus (the common Clown Pleco) is smaller at 3-4 inches. It is usually not a vigorous algae eater. In its habitat, this fish feeds on logs and branches, eating the wood itself along with aufwuchs [algae mats containing rotifers, small crustaceans, insect larvae, protozoans]. In the aquarium wood must be provided. This fish will eat some species of algae, prepared sinking foods that contain vegetable matter along with shrimp, fish meal, etc. Blanched vegetables such as zucchini, yams, squash, cucumber, spinach, romaine, banana. Live or frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms.

This fish will eat some species of algae, prepared sinking foods that contain vegetable matter along with shrimp, fish meal, etc. Blanched vegetables such as zucchini, yams, squash, cucumber, spinach, romaine, banana. Live or frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms.

Yes, mine loves zucchini. He will take the slice and drag it into his favorite hiding spot to eat it. ^_^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back