Are Females Suitable In A Community Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi, so as the title reads, i have found a local breeder who sells female bettas for a pound a piece, i was wondering if they would do well in a community set up or best to have a species only tank?
thanks in advance

A group of 5+ females can be kept in a community tank as long as they're compatible with the other fish you already have

no less than five?
the current tank occupants are
3gbr
7 dwarf chain loaches
6 hengelli rasboras
10 neons.

You can have one on it's own in there, just have a back up plan as they can be just as mean as the males.
If you want to do more than one female then you'll want 5+ as like said, they can be mean and having more spreads aggression.

i was thinking three with current stocking
size is 170l
100cmx50x30 ish if i remember right.
plants there to block line of sight.
would five be ok in there?

Choose smaller looking females. Big, bulky females (ones with really rounded bellies indicating their maturity to breed) tend to stand-out among the rest and becomes a dominant female that may start bullying the other fishes.

ok thanks a lot.
like i said he's a breeder so if he has any rep he should allow me to pick and choose the ones that i want hopefully :)

I do not suggest any number of females together in groups of less than 5.  I also do not suggest multiple female bettas in a community setup.   if you want to add a female betta to your current set up, then I suggest 1.   The reasoning is this, female bettas are aggressive and in some instances more so than males.  When kept in numbers less than 5, they will bully each other mercilessly and that ends up in the death or injury to the one being bullied.  With multiple female bettas in a community tank, the female bettas are likely to gang up other other fish and kill them or injure them.  Also your tank is getting pretty well stocked so i don't recommend much more than 1 female betta at any rate.

ok thanks a lot wildbetta
i tried finding info on the matter but there never seems to be a definitive answer.
so i thought id put it to the masses.
i have a spare 5 gallon set up incase it doesn't work.
just thought id try it

I don't want to say the others are wrong, but I've had female bettas living in a community tank for almost a year now. 2 females. There hasn't been any problems, they're sweethearts and best friends. They don't chase any of the fish and they're always exploring together. The females only chase the other fish when they nip at their tails. I'm going to assume this is a rare case though. Good luck!

Creature said:
I don't want to say the others are wrong, but I've had female bettas living in a community tank for almost a year now. 2 females. There hasn't been any problems, they're sweethearts and best friends. They don't chase any of the fish and they're always exploring together. The females only chase the other fish when they nip at their tails. I'm going to assume this is a rare case though. Good luck!
well as we all know with fish
their personality will determine how they act.
i could get lucky like you have or i could have a load of dead fishies.
i'll try it and if they get along then grand.
if not i'll have to rehome.
like i said my qt tank will be big enough to home her for the time being if she doesnt get along with others.

In my experiences female betta are even more aggressive than the males.   I have kept them in community tanks, though   I can also tell you first hand, however, that betta and gbr do NOT mix well.  Usually end with very tattered betta, or worse.  The rams don't go after the betta outright, but if the betta even attempts to bully the ram, they put them in their place quick.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back