Are Cherry Barbs Loners?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have 6 Cherry Barbs in my community tank. Some hang out on their own around plants. I was just reading in the “Aquarium Atlas” by Dr. Rudiger Riehl and Hans A. Baensch that they are timid loaners and become nervous with others of its species as tank mates. I was told they did better in groups. Which is correct?

I find they do better in groups but males will set up territories about 6-12 inches apart and wait for the girls to swim by, then they show off to them. The males are red and the females are primarily brown.

Ok, great. Book is very informational. Thanks for suggestion.

I have a group of six cherry barbs (2m 4f) and the females group and swim together in the middle of the tank mainly and the 2 males do have a their own little corners of the tank as their territories and will come out to show off. The males are beautiful how they colour up.

Brilliant community fish :fish:

Why is it that the males are always studlier, more colorful and vibrant and the females are frumpy, drab and boring ?
The boys have to attract the girls and they do this by displaying and having more colour. The girls can pick any male and will normally choose the biggest, brightest, showiest male to breed with.

Only because the males don’t carry wallets. Lol!

I haven't noticed the male mating behavior - either I have all males or females - they are all very red since I've been feeding them color enhancing food. While I am fond of them because they were my first fish, in general mine are altogether boring to watch and they definitely stay away from other fish, sometimes one of them will come over and sample some pellet food with the catfish but most of the time it's flake or super small pellets then back to hiding. When I first got them they used to school but now they just wait in the background. They even feed together in the background. Very peaceful slow moving fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back