Are both these mollies male?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lucyl123

Reaction score
Hi,
I believe the top one is but unsure about the orange one.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 37F9DEFF-ACFC-451F-B012-363D0511D348.png
    37F9DEFF-ACFC-451F-B012-363D0511D348.png
    585.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 8C13D7AB-AA30-4449-98D0-7EB2B47B1E2D.png
    8C13D7AB-AA30-4449-98D0-7EB2B47B1E2D.png
    585.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to tff. Most likely someone in the know will respond soon.

I have never kept mollies but I have platys and they are much the same as far as sexual identification. Fan shaped anal fin is female. A gonopodium (rough spike shape thing) where the anal fin is, would be a male. In your pic, the one on top is a male. Your pic isn't real clear but I think the bottom is female with the fan shape. If you can get a better shot of the bottom fish I could say for sure.

Hi,
I believe the top one is but unsure about the orange one.
Thanks!
molly-fish-Gender.jpg

Also - With sailfin molly:
Male has large sail fin while females have a lot less pronounced sail fin (top fin).

As Mtnfishman said:
Top one is definitely male. While bottom one looks like female but it's not very clear.

P.S. when they are young (Molly, Platy, Swordtail) Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if they are male or female as gonopodium isn't properly developed. I think after 3 months old you can be fairly certain but before that you might get surprise female looking anal fin develops into gonopodium.

Hope that helps

Sadly, unlike platy, mollie can't change sex. It is always so wonderful to buy a bunch of platy and swordtails and know that no matter how hard you try to avoid males you will have one sooner or later. Sadly mollies are disfunctional and just can't handle it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back