Are Bettas Picky Eaters?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

brittgs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been feeding Javier Hikari Bio Gold Betta pellets since I got him 10 days ago.  He has been eating them just fine.  Reading through some old threads I saw that Omega One is a recommended  food so I picked up a very small container of their Betta pellets today.  I offered one to Javier today, just the way I always feed him, he immediately ate it and then spit it out! I removed the pellet and tried another and he did the same thing.  Is he being picky or is something wrong with him?

He is swimming normally, investigating all the areas of his tank as usual.  I did a 25% water change on Wed and tested the water on Thurs morning (API Master Test Kit).  Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm, pH 6.4, temp 80 degrees.

They can be, I think. Is it a different pellet size than what you've been feeding him? Some fish spit it out repeatedly I think to try and break it up to make it easier for them to eat.

any time I feed my fish something its not used to they tend to take a while to get used to it so just keep trying.

The Omega One pellets are a slightly darker color and may be a tiny bit bigger than the Hikari pellets.  I'll try breaking them up and offering again.  I like the ingredients in the Omega pellets so I hope that I can get him to eat them.  Thanks.

Hi.. Not to worry.. its a matter of him getting used to the new pellets.. :)

Mine's also did the same thing like yours!

What I did for my Betta to accept the new food, I put 3 Attison's Betta Pro Pellets together with 2 new Hikari Pellets in.. then slowly increase the Hikari Pellets to 3 and decrease the Attison's to 2.. and so on.. hope you understand the method.. haha! :p

So gradually condition him to the new pellets .  Makes sense.  Thanks.

They normally aren't picky once they're hungry. If it fits in their mouth that's food.

Freeze dried blood worms always worked good for me.

All your betta has to do is get used to the new food. It takes a while, so be patient.

Did you soak the pellets first?

My betta won't touch daphnia at all but eats everything else offered.

I have soaked pellets in bloodworm juice which has worked very well.

One of my bettas refuses to eat bloodworms but will happily eat everything else. The other 3 are all piggies so no problems there.

I think it may be related to the size of the pellets. I put the pellets next to one another and Hikari pellets are about 1/2 the size of the Omega One pellets. This morning I offered Javier a Hikari pellet that he gulped down and then an Omega pellet that he spit out. I crushed an Omrga pellet, offered him a piece and he ate it readily.

Here is a photo of the size difference of the pellets.  The Omega One is on the left and the Hikari Bio-gold is on the right.  Not a great pic because I took it with my phone but you can see the size difference.

I like the ingredients in the Omega because it has whole fish, named, as opposed to generic fish meal.  I think that this would be better for Javier in the long run.  I will keep breaking up the pellets and alternating with the Hikari until he is taking them readily.

Tomorrow I will be defrosting some blood worms and brine shrimp for the fish in my 29 gal tank. I'll see what he thinks of tiny pieces of worms and shrimp.

Pellets1.jpgPellets1.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back