FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbetta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My friend wants to put a betta in his 20 g with 5 rummy noses and two algae eaters, apparently they are silver with a red nose. Are these fish compatible together? Has anyone done this before? Any advice at all as soon as possible is greatly apprechiated, thanks in advance:)

The betta should leave the rummy nose's alone so if you put him in keep a close eye on them for a few days then if nothing has happened by then everything should be alright.

Yeah, mostly it depends on the Betta. Rummy nose are Tetras. Tetras are nippy. Rummy nose are among the least nippy I believe, but they are still Tetra and will nip. If your friend's Betta has long fins like a VT or Delta, he could have some problems. If he is a plakat or some shorter tail variety he should be alright. Then it's up to his temperment whether he is compatable with tank mates.

My Synirr boys (small plakats) are with Tetras much more aggressive and larger than rummy nose Tetras, and they are fine.

Hi guys,
My friend wants to put a betta in his 20 g with 5 rummy noses and two algae eaters, apparently they are silver with a red nose. Are these fish compatible together? Has anyone done this before? Any advice at all as soon as possible is greatly apprechiated, thanks in advance:)
They are generally compatible.

Sheepdove, do you even bother to look at the thread age before posting? How many pages did you have to go back to get this thread? It's from 4 years ago.

Sheepdove, do you even bother to look at the thread age before posting? How many pages did you have to go back to get this thread? It's from 4 years ago.
And its still helping me 11 years later - no need to be so harsh....

And its still helping me 11 years later - no need to be so harsh....

Unfortunately fish keeping knowledge moves on and what we believed in 2006 isn't necessarily what we now believe. For example, most of the 2006 replies say it is OK to keep bettas with rummy nose tetras but we now realise that bettas are not community fish and should be kept alone.
Bettas can object to sharing a tank and although they may not physically attack the betta, they release aggression hormones that affect the other fish. And tetras have teeth. Many otherwise peaceful fish just cannot help themselves when faced with long flowing fins.

Yes, you will read of people who keep bettas in community tanks. But it is a risky thing to do. And those that do have them in community tanks don't seem to report back if the betta suddenly snaps and goes on a killing spree........

As this thread is very old I have locked it to further replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back