Are Backgrounds Needed ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Bit of a random one but are backgrounds really needed ? I've just taken mine off so I can clean all the algae properly and I quite like it without. I'm just worries it may stress he fish ?

I havent used one in ages but then again it all depends whats behind your tank.

They can be pretty ugly. with pipes and cables all hanging down. 

If your happy with it keep it like it :)

It all depends on what kind of fish you have.
If you have fish that prefer dark substrate and dimmed lightning, I think you'd be better with a background.

I agree and disagree with pingu2013. I think that yes, it matters what’s behind your tank (i.e., lamp, candle, lantern, or any other light- or heat-producing object,) but if you have none of anything that I just mentioned behind your tank, you don’t need one unless you want one. But, because your fish are used to the background, I’d put it back afterward.
Thanks for reading this! (I just joined TFF!!)

No, a background is not needed. Sure a dark background may help calm super shy fish a little bit, but they won't stress put to the point of death just because there's no background.

Open backed tanks makes your tank seem more big as the open water space looks infinite. A tank with background as above mentioned can cover ugly walls, light coming in from windows, cords and plugs, etc. It also gives shy fish a more sense of security. Having background does make your tank space look limited though. Having and not having a background cover is actually more for aesthetic reasons.

Agree with tongue flicker. I actually just hang an old towel as my background to hide the wall. I change the color monthly for aesthetics but the fish don't care. I have a background for me not them and they don't care at all.

Ive tried various backgrounds and my absolute favourite is black acrylic paint. Perfect finish, no bubbles, just super smooth mat black finish. East to get off too should you decide to change it.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's a community tank 95 ltr and it's been running 2 year now. Nothing is behind the tank just the wires which I have fastened to one side with tie wires. Gotta say it looks great IMO. I don't have any overly shy fish, my frogs are probably the worst for hiding most the time but they still let me touch them and feed them so alls good

Cheers for the help

i prefer to put a blue led light behind the tank. i think it gives a cool effect at night.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back