Are any of the "blue" Angelfish actually blue?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ArielB74

Reaction score
For those of you with experience with the various strains of "blue" Angelfish, are any of them really blue? I've seen videos on Youtube where they look more silver than blue (or with just a hint of blue around the fins). Some of the photos posted online make them look super blue, but I suspect that is just the lighting. I contacted one of the stores that sells them, and was told that the "Blue Smoky" are the most blue.

What's the truth?

There are no solid blue strains that I know of. Pinoy, various Philippines, Brazilian glitters, blue pearlscale and others all have blue coloration to a degree. Some on the fins, some on the body, some both. Each individual specimen will vary and, as you have said, other factors such as lighting and “in-person” color compared to “online” color does come into play.

Your best bet would be to try looking for show quality breeders and the like. A simple google search will yield a number of high quality and show quality angel breeders.

I decided to take the plunge and buy some of these online. Here are the ones I bought:

• Blue Smokey Paraiba
  • Philippine Blue Smokey
  • Phillipine Blue Zebra
  • Pinoy Ghost
  • Panda Koi
Not all blue, but the three that are blue are pretty darn blue... I've attached a couple of pics under neutral LED lighting at the top; they look much bluer in person, but you can get an idea from the pics. If I play with my lights I can make them look REALLY blue too...

Attachments

• IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 92
Do you have a light that's changing color in the background? I'm fascinated.

Yes. I have the SerenSun Background Light and SereneSun PRO LED lights on the top, made by Current-USA. I had it set to cycle colors when I was taking the pictures.

Sure - the lights are very good, I've been super happy with them.

And if anyone is interested, my angels are doing great.. their colors seem to be getting even better.. here's my Blue Zebra (background light off, neutral lighting from the top):

61728390689__23B62CCA-08A5-4010-B5D6-57219031E4B6.JPG

Wow, absolutely stunning. Where did you get him? I have a 60g to stock, thinking about angels but haven't decided. My water is moderately hard which they don't love.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back