Aratus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Buddy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 36us gallon tank with one male Aratus in it (he is about 4 years old now). I have tried to keep other Africans with him but found that he would chase them to death despite the many hide-outs in the tank. So I have decided to keep only other aratus with him. I am wondering how many can go in this size tank. Any advice on breeding and keeping the fish in general?

If you have a good filter, then maybe 3 females as they are super aggressive( as you now know!). Good Luck, please post pics, i love them!

Honestly I think any fish added will be killed, personally I wouldn't keep auratus in anything smaller than a 75gal because of their aggression, even a species only tank.

The biggest problem that your going to have with your tank (besides the small size) is that you have a hyper-aggressive adult fish that has been alone in a tank. As far as he's concerned, the entire tank is his property and he will defend it to the death. Although I don't recommend it, if you do decide to add more fish, I'd suggest moving the male you have now to another tank, completely rearrange the 36gal, add your new fish and give them a chance to establish territories before moving the male back it. It might work, but I have serious doubts.

IMO I dont think setting up a breeding colony of Melanochromis auratus is a good idea. As dthoffsett mentioned, the female fish will most likely be harassed to death. If you are able to establish a breeding group and I imagine that they would make a good display, I dont recommend that you go out of your way to strip the fry as you will find it very hard to home the fish if not impossible. Your local fish shop might take the fish off your hands for free, where they will sell these fish as happy little juvenile african cichlids and the cycle will continue.

Sorry to be so pessimistic :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back