Aqueon Pure Bacteria Supplement

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
It's been a LONG time since I posted here but I am setting my 75 gallon back up after 10+ years of having nothing but water in it. I have everything ready for fish with the exception of cycling it. I've had ammonia in it for a little over a week but no drop yet. Since it has been running the entire time with a couple anubias nana still living and some drift wood decaying, I thought I would have at least a small bacteria colony but apparently not.

In browsing a local store, I saw the Aqueon Pure stuff and wondered if anyone had any good experience with it. I never had any faith in the Stress Zyme or other supposed kick starters for the bacteria but wondered if there had been decent advances over the last decade or so.

In any case, thanks in advance for any info. Look forward to seeing who I may remember from the "olden days". I know a lot has changed in that time.

The one we usually recommend nowadays is Tetra Safe Start, or perhaps Dr Tim's One & Only (only don't use his method, use ours)

I can't remember - had TwoTankAmin written his fishless cycling method last time you were here?

PS, the blue link in your signature doesn't work any more ;) A lot of links were broken when the forum software changed.

I have been using the FritzZyme with good results. Little pricey but good way to supplement your cycle.

I can't remember - had TwoTankAmin written his fishless cycling method last time you were here?
He had not as the one that was pinned when I last posted was actually the one I wrote in like 2005 or so (linked in my signature but apparently no longer working and the post may have been removed).

I have been using the FritzZyme with good results. Little pricey but good way to supplement your cycle.
My son bought some of that to use for the 29 gallon he's setting up. Don't know how it's worked yet though as he just put it in the tank on Saturday.

I bought a small bottle FritzZyme from a local store. Using Dr. Tims ammonia, I spike the tank to 4 ppm and it took ~5 days to drop to zero. I spike it again to ~4 ppm, 3-4 days to drop to zero.

However I also added 1 1/2 bags of Eco Complete to the tank.

I am the son he is referring to. I set up the tank on Saturday, and after the dust had settled (literally.... Fluval Stratum is very dusty) I dosed the tank with Ammonia on Sunday and Fritzzyme 7 on Monday. As of this morning, I'm already seeing Nitrate levels, no Nitrite, and still a bit of ammonia left. Not bad for 3 days

He had not as the one that was pinned when I last posted was actually the one I wrote in like 2005 or so (linked in my signature but apparently no longer working and the post may have been removed).
This one, RDD?

This one, RDD?

That's it BTT. But the link to the new thread is dead. It takes me to a page where it asks me to log in but when I do I get "Your account does not have admin privileges".

Does this work?
this
It takes me to the thread I wrote but the link in it where it says "Mod edit: This article has been superseded - please see this thread on fishless cycling" doesn't work. It makes me log in even though I'm already logged in and when I do, it takes me to a page that says "Your account does not have admin privileges".

Ah, I see what you mean. All links were broken during a forum upgrade or transfer to a new host, or whatever. Check your thread now, you'll find the link has been reinstated :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back