Aqueon 29 Gallon Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ashleymorrell

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was hoping to get some peace of mind from some fellow fish keepers. I just upgraded my 20 gallon to a 29 gallon. (I couldnā€™t resist the $1 sale at Petco.) I got the tank setup and for some reason decided to check reviews for the Aqueon 29 gallon (tank I purchased) and found loads of complaints about leaks, breaks, etc. Needless to say Iā€™m feeling a little anxious and paranoid about the tank busting open and leaking everywhere especially since I live in an apartment building on the second floor. Does anyone else out there have this tank? And hopefully had positive experiences? Is there anything I should be looking out for or precautions I should be taking?
Additional question, if you have had leaks does it generally happen slowly? Or does it happen all at once just flooding out?
Trying to relax and not worry about a problem that may never happen but the reviews for most tanks on petco/petsmart do not make me feel better! ?

Leaks are slow. I always put 1 inch high density polystyrene under all my tanks.

Petco sells thousand of these tanks across the USA and there are nineteen 1 star reviews on this tank in the past year, I would not worry too much about it. Test filling it in a safe location would still be a wise idea.

I test filled my new Aqueon 29 gallon tank, no problems. I also have a new Aqueon 75 gallon tank up and running, no problems. These are affordable mass produced aquariums which I assume are made in China, I would not expect perfection.

I am grateful that we still have choices in the USA for aquariums, my 75 gallon tank cost me $100 locally. A 75 gallon frameless low iron glass tank may cost $500-1000.

Mark

As long as the tank is level and on the right stand, I wouldn't worry about it...

Petco sells thousand of these tanks across the USA and there are nineteen 1 star reviews on this tank in the past year, I would not worry too much about it. Test filling it in a safe location would still be a wise idea.

I test filled my new Aqueon 29 gallon tank, no problems. I also have a new Aqueon 75 gallon tank up and running, no problems. These are affordable mass produced aquariums which I assume are made in China, I would not expect perfection.

I am grateful that we still have choices in the USA for aquariums, my 75 gallon tank cost me $100 locally. A 75 gallon frameless low iron glass tank may cost $500-1000.

Mark
Great point. Iā€™ve been trying to convince myself all day everything will be okay! So far so good and my fish are loving all the new space!

Love this idea about the polystyrene! I will worry less knowing something is there to absorb any leakage , thank you!
Actually, I believe the polystyrene has a different purpose...it "absorbs" any imperfections in the stand that may distort the bottom tank trim. It's recommended when using a homemade stand; I use the foamboard that insulates the outside of homes, cut to size.

Polystyrene won't absorb water. Imperfections in a stand or even a bit of grit between the sand and a flat bottomed tank can cause the glass to crack and polystyrene stops any imperfections 'digging into' the glass.

Love this idea about the polystyrene! I will worry less knowing something is there to absorb any leakage , thank you!
You should be fine. I had an Aqueon tank for the longest time. In the future, I would recommend TopFin aquariums. They seem to be the best quality!

Polystyrene won't absorb water. Imperfections in a stand or even a bit of grit between the sand and a flat bottomed tank can cause the glass to crack and polystyrene stops any imperfections 'digging into' the glass.
Great minds think alike, LOL

You mentioned distorting the bottom trim, I thought I'd add about flat bottomed tanks for completion :lol:

Gotcha! Nothing wrong with being thorough....:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back