Aquatic Turtle Eating Plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

josh_g

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 2 yellow bellied sliders and i've noticed my amazon swords and other plants are getting pretty shredded, looks like they've been nibbled on pretty badly. The only fish in there is a fire eel and a couple of catfish so do you guys think it's the turtles destroying my plants?

I don't know much about turtles, but I do know that they typically eat plants. I hear that they don't eat java fern or very waxy plants. It's very likely that the turtles are eating them. It's also not uncommon for some species of catfish to rasp on leaves. On more delicate plants, this can make them look weaker and eventually fall apart, but this doesn't happen as often as turtles having salad.

theres deffo something gobbling them up which is a pain because I spent a fortune kitting my tank out with plants

Hi.
I used to keep turtles, and they will eat your plants.... I used to buy mine eloda and float it in their tank so they have something to graze on and just kept on topping it up as they got through it. For decoration purposes I used the plastic plants- and I didn't keep them with fish, eventually they will eat them also.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back