Aquatic Lizards?

mike455555

i need to stop buying plants....
Reaction score
are there any small ish aquatic lizards? and what do i need to keep one. also what size do they get to?
total noob when it comes to reptiles but i saw a Chinese water dragon when in my LFS today.

any info for a beginner. (id like it to be semi aquatic, so i can grow aquarium plants in there emersed form) main things i would like to know is:
name of the lizard (looks for small ones)
the size it gets to.
what size tank it needs.
what equipment i need.

extra details?

thanks in advance :good:

You're looking for amphibians, newts are generally a good choice and are widely available, but I don't really know that much about them as I've never kept them.

na i was thinking lizards. like a smaller version of the Chinese water dragon. (for a spare tank not to do with my fish)

Ive got no idea but if it was me id search for a reptile forum. there must be something out there. you would be after something from a rainforest i would assume

i just wandered if anyone on here had kept them before ;p i will do some research into them. anode i think are. but i wandered if there were anymore more

I work at a wood yard and we found a tiny gecko from brazil once. i took it to a man who owns is own reptile shop and who really knows his stuff and he said the reason they have evolved to be so small and light is so they float when they fall in water which happens often. i think anoles will be worth looking into

Is that your own betta in your pic? is it an imbellis?

Is that your own betta in your pic? is it an imbellis?
its a betta...or was... it died awhile back and i haven't changed my picture yet and thanks i did look into them quickly. but i was just wandering if anyone knew of anymore

There are a few water skinks native to Australia but I doubt they would be availble overseas. But just incase you can find them here are the names of some of them.

Water skinks and Forest Skinks.

Water Skink names are

Eastern Water Skink Eulamprus quoyii size 28cm

Cool temperate water skink E. tympanum size 22cm

The Blue Mountian Swamp Skink E. leuraensis size 18cm

Alpine Skinks E. koscuiskoi which are divieded into two types one from the Snowy Mountains and the other from the New England Plateau. size 19cm

All of these give birth to live young.

We also have Eastern Water Dragons which get around the size of Bearded Dragons ( I have seen some huge ones of both)

And we also have Arafura File Snakes, these are true aquatic snakes and harmless in the venom department. They have really loose baggy skin that is as rough as a file.

na i was thinking lizards. like a smaller version of the Chinese water dragon. (for a spare tank not to do with my fish)
there is a skink called the red eyed croc skink, looks like something out of photo shop. they are semi aquatic, but still need more land than water. you need to keep the humidity up and make sure it shedds, they are easy for lizards but are a bit pricey. they would eat crickets and the like. if you want something that swims a ton and is small you should look to newts. if you are a beginner don't even consider a chinese water dragon, as the care for them is still ify and somewhat unexplored.
but the croc skink is a manageable size to care for

there is a skink called the red eyed croc skink, looks like something out of photo shop. they are semi aquatic, but still need more land than water. you need to keep the humidity up and make sure it shedds, they are easy for lizards but are a bit pricey. they would eat crickets and the like. if you want something that swims a ton and is small you should look to newts. if you are a beginner don't even consider a chinese water dragon, as the care for them is still ify and somewhat unexplored.
but the croc skink is a manageable size to care for
here is a picture
1585852335192.png

Most reactions

trending

Back