Aquatech 5-15 filter won't start (fixed)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, my filter won't start, I don't know what to do. It's a very old filter but I hope there is something I could do to fix the problem. It's on my 10 gallon with my paradise fish

What kind of filter is it? Is it a HOB filter? Has it been in use already and was turned off and your now turning it back on? Or did you just place it in your tank? You may already know this, but just to play it safe.... You need to "prime" a filter when you start it (if it is a HOB filter anyway) by adding water to the filter. Could this be the problem?

What kind of filter is it? Is it a HOB filter? Has it been in use already and was turned off and your now turning it back on? Or did you just place it in your tank? You may already know this, but just to play it safe.... You need to "prime" a filter when you start it (if it is a HOB filter anyway) by adding water to the filter. Could this be the problem?
It's a hang on the back filter. I turned it off to do maintenance and now the motor won't turn on.

Ok, so is it turning on and just not pumping any water? Is the motor making a noise and just not pumping water into the filter, or is it not making any noise at all?

Ok, so is it turning on and just not pumping any water? Is the motor making a noise and just not pumping water into the filter, or is it not making any noise at all?
It's not making any noise and the filter doesn't pump water

If it isn't making ANY noise at all, then it is possible that the motor is dead... If you do hear it making noise, you could try to prime the filter by adding water into the back of the filter until it starts pumping water up into the filter and and into the tank. But if it is absolutely silent when you plug it in, chances are it is dead, and I don't have any experience with fixing motors.. :(

Good news, I moved something and the motor magically turned on!

You need to clean the impeller and area around it thoroughly as well as the entire filter box. Do this at least every 6 weeks or so.

Yes, clean the impeller. I clean out my filter really good every month.

I just cleaned it but it was the first time for a very long time (probably too long) so I will do it more often.

now that it's clean, it should start right up after maintaining your tank. Priming is often needed to start pumping water when restarting the filter.

Yes, I forgot to mentions that. I always have to prime my filters, if they starting up dry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back