Aquascaping styles and fish welfare?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
On the fence about it at the moment but just wanted to add in these 'final scape' shots the fish behaviour isnt a true indication of behaviour, some of the tanks have had all their equipment removed and the water ripples are made with a hair dryer. The schools are usually done by people stood around the tank scaring the fish (equally unethical). Even thoughs with equipment in you can tell its freshly pruned because the glasswear is imaculate which lasts all of a few days usually.

To acheive these tanks though they are only designed to last 6-12 months, all the stems are strategically planned to get the tank to a peak. I had it in my tank a few months ago and its almost like giving up now because unless I replant most of the tank with young stems its never going to get back to that.

Interestingly 3 and 6 have very similar plants, 3 is probably possible without Co2, look at the carpet its something like Helanthium Tenelum which with good ferts and soft water will spread like that and on the woodwork its mainly looking like Java Moss with its uneven growth style.

Even number 7 is still following aquascaping principles, all the hard scape is drawing the eye, the path is in the left third so its been designed with a golden ratio, the substrate is much higher at the back than the front to create depth. I think this one is a bit too murky for me, like there looks to be too much organic waste just wafting in the water column? In terms of set up I bet this tank will be on par with the high tech tanks with spend and tech - botanicals are not cheap lol.

But also dont think good design is confined to tanks with Co2 - get creative, be inspired by these tanks, but make something that works for you. I mean really number 6 is pretty boring and while I get the natural bit of it, considering some layout rules wouldnt be that hard to make it look a lot better pretty quickly. Quality of photography

I think in summary put the plants of 2 and 3 in number 7 and give me a syphon to get some of the crud out :)

Wills

Update: So I went on scaping new CO2 injected iwagumi with Monte carlo as carpeting plant, probably add lots of cherry shrimps to control algae growth.

I moved the cardinal tetras to a 36”18”19” (53gal???) tank which will be a correct Middle Rio Negro biotope, as I want to enter “Biotope Aquarium Design Contest 2022”

@Byron @Colin_T

I want more opinions and knowledge from you guys on this, here we go:

1. Can I use any twigs or leaves I found? Is coco fiber, peat and completely safe to use as they say?

2. Can anyone Id the fish in this video?

3. What are your opinion on these wood? Which one looks the best for the biotope I’m going to scape?
(Found these online, pretty cheap)

Attachments

• 1CA6E82E-3F55-4CDA-A8B6-4DEB1F1FA680.png
    1CA6E82E-3F55-4CDA-A8B6-4DEB1F1FA680.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 37DEAAA2-DF39-4F93-A21D-ABE2A6DFC086.jpeg
    37DEAAA2-DF39-4F93-A21D-ABE2A6DFC086.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 8B66924E-7098-4FA9-9CA0-62BB2E4BCAE3.jpeg
    8B66924E-7098-4FA9-9CA0-62BB2E4BCAE3.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 29
1. Can I use any twigs or leaves I found? Is coco fiber, peat and completely safe to use as they say?

Hardwood (oak, maple, beech...not sure what you have in Thailand for hardwoods) is generally safe so far as the wood itself is concerned, branches, twigs and dried leaves. As for the safety of any of this, depends where it is collected and what it may have been exposed to. Peat is discouraged these days because collecting it is decimating a natural environment. Dried leaves work just as well.

2. Can anyone Id the fish in this video?

I would have to study the video, but from a glance there are some obvious species and ohers I hav never seen previously. There is a list of some of these in the Amazonas article from which this video came, here:
and also check the comments on YouTube for this video, I spotted some fish ID by Dr. Flavio Lima there.

3. What are your opinion on these wood? Which one looks the best for the biotope I’m going to scape?
(Found these online, pretty cheap)

From the sole standpoint of design, the first is excellent, the other two a bit too much. You want some space between branches, not a "net" which fish won't maneuver through. I've no idea on the wood itself, safe or not.

1. Biotope. It is tailored for the fish
  2. The Low tech/ classic style. A lot of hiding places
  3. Dutch. Hiding places
  4. Forest.fish like darkness
  5. Ada. Good hiding + open space
  6. landscaping. Too bright
  7. Iwaguami

Maybe I'm just lazy when it comes to planted tanks because I really can't be bothered doing much more than a low tech setup. They are easy to plant, easier to maintain than the other options and as long as you choose the plants that fit your water and lighting there are normally not many issues. The fish also do great in them.

Of course there is an equal chance that I'm just cheap because when I'm setting up a new tank I normally just go to my plant grow out tank and grab whatever needs cutting back the most... I rarely actually buy plants these days. I'm also not willing to spend a lot for CO2.

Maybe I'm just lazy when it comes to planted tanks because I really can't be bothered doing much more than a low tech setup. They are easy to plant, easier to maintain than the other options and as long as you choose the plants that fit your water and lighting there are normally not many issues. The fish also do great in them.

Of course there is an equal chance that I'm just cheap because when I'm setting up a new tank I normally just go to my plant grow out tank and grab whatever needs cutting back the most... I rarely actually buy plants these days. I'm also not willing to spend a lot for CO2.
Same here. :) Why work harder than you have to?

The 53gal cardinal tetras biotope looks a bit better now with driftwood. I have 5 cardinals right now, how many can I add?

I also ended up wanting to add fish in my newly scaped Iwagumi style with Helanthium and Sagittaria (monte carlo melted). Is there any top dwelling fish you guys can recommended

The 53gal cardinal tetras biotope looks a bit better now with driftwood. I have 5 cardinals right now, how many can I add?
Sounds okay...what else in there, besides plants and driftwood?
I also ended up wanting to add fish in my newly scaped Iwagumi style with Helanthium and Sagittaria (monte carlo melted). Is there any top dwelling fish you guys can recommended
That would depend on pH, GH/KH, etc., as well as what else is in the tank.

I assume this tank is to be a high-tech planted one, since you are using diffused CO2. That means stronger light to balance. And that is not at all suitable to cardinal tetras, they have a light phobia.

And that is not at all suitable to cardinal tetras, they have a light phobia.
No, I’m not going to add cardinals in, as I moved them to a biotope tank.

I’m just trying to find a fish that dwells in open river and doesn’t scare of light.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back