Aquascape Centrepiece

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamLovesCorys

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Norfolk, UK
Hi

I recently removed some rock, which served as the centrepiece for my aquarium, as it was covered in algae and looked a little weird. I wanted some advice on what you'd have as the centrepiece... I'm considering maybe bogwood?

Thanks!

P1200111.jpg

I've got both rock and algae. It really depends on what you can get hold of where you are. Bogwood might look nice? You anywhere near Swallow Aquatics?

Bog or Mopani wood look good.  I have a couple of great pieces of each, well tons of it in fact :)  In particular I like the huge piece of bog-wood that lies along the first third of the tank and comes up in like a < shape.  You can just make it out, almost in the middle of my signature.  The other is like a tree with branches all over, this is in the right hand side of the tank, again you can see some of it in my signature.  I would personally put whatever you get slightly off centre as it tends to make the tank look more natural than dead centre.  I also have different shaped pieces that I can re-arrange and make "tunnels" and caves etc with them, so it does not need to be just one piece.  My LFS is good to me, they stick me in the centre of the shop behind some filtering equipment and let me tip out bags of the stuff, so I get some great pieces
laugh.png

Also, attach some plants to it such as; Java Fern or Anubias.  Be aware that you will get tannins from the wood, but personally I find it adds to the natural look.

If you take a look at my project, link in signature, you will also see some other items that I will be using that you may like, sorry not for sale ;)

SamLovesCorys said:

I might take all the plants out and start again... What do you guys think about that? Also, I'd quite like to change the gravel. Is that possible with the fish in the tank?

Wrote this all out then lost it all - arrghhh - hate it when that happens - now you get the shortened version!

Yes you can do that but I would temporarily house your fish in a small quarantine tank or a container, I think it was Techen that recently posted something on containers.

Also, take a look at this TOPIC as it discusses some substrate options that have been successful.

It is difficult to see what substrate you have in your tank at present, it looks like a mixture of types?  You would definitely find a darker substrate shows your fish off better than white.

If you want plants look at the media that goes under the substrate i.e. JBL Florabase, there are others too.

NB: keep some of the original substrate to help seed the new substrate with the BB.  Ensure you keep it wet in aquarium water, then put it into a stocking or two and then add it to the tank once the new substrate is in there.

Is this your only aquarium or do you have others?  This is when I lost the info I had typed as I went to have a look at your profile, but never got there!

It would be possible to change the gravel while the fish are in the tank but it would obviously be stressful.

What you could do instead is put them in a clean bucket that has been used with only your tank along with the heater and filter for a while. Then you can mess about as much as you wish, changing the substrate and what not.

As for a centerpiece, bogwood always looks nice of if you don't fancy that - have a look at redmoor wood! I bought my bogwood off eBay, it was pretty cheap for what I got :)

SamLovesCorys said:
Thanks guys! And yes, I'm quite near a Swallow Aquatics... 
I'm up this way visiting family and have just popped in there with the kids. They had a few bits of bogwood and stone/rock that would look nice in your tank.

Looking at your tank again I tend to agree with RCA and suggest you go with wood and see if you can get some Anubais and java fern/moss to attach to it. Will look quite nice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back