The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyT

Reaction score
Hi Davy & fellow members,
I'm new to the forum so I hope my post isn't too long, and won't bore anyone.

I'm looking to set up a new tank which is very similar in size to one you have (60in).
The tank will primarily be a home to 2 oscars, currently 5 inch in length. They are growing rapidly, so I think I have around 2 months to get everything ready.

My questions relate to what height I should specify when ordering the tank, the filtration/lighting system, and suitable companions.

I will be building the cabinet myself, so the lighting can be whatever configuration is appropriate.
For filtration, I am considering an under gravel system, in conjunction with air powered foam filters.

This works fine in 2 small tanks I have but I have no idea if its appropriate for a larger tank.

The oscars only companions at the moment are a large plec around 8in and an anti-social kissing gourami around 3in.
Are any other fish suitable as companions, or should I re-locate them on their own.

Any advice you can offer will be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Hiya and welcome. :grin:
Ermm. This will be a question for everyone cos we all have our own favs, likes and dislikes.
My tank as you say is 60inch long 18inch high and 12inch deep. It runs happily on a fluval 4 internal filter. Two blubs in it, but theres not a lot of plants so theres no need for lots of light. 8)
The one thing I'm not happy about is the depth of the tank I'd like it a bit more mabye at least 18ich. So a minimum I would recomend of 60x18x18. Though I really want a 8ftx2ftx2ft tank anyway. :eek:
Filter wise, I'd say an external filter would be best. Lighting depends on if you want lots of plants or not, but three 4ft tubes will be fine.
Fish- How long have got. I've got list somewhere I'll get that out soon, and give suggestions.
For now my tummy is rummbling :blush:

I have a 60" tank here and it looks quite good even if I say so myself :) It has a height of 30" and is 18"front to back, the depth meens thicker glass is needed and I don't know that you would need to go this high for the Oscars :) For filtration I would use a cannister but then again I lOVE canister filters :)
For Oscars I think you should look at a minimum height and depth of 18" and I really do think a big canister is called for as these fish are big waste producers :) Just like our Davy they are full of it, (sorry Davy, couldn't resist it :) ) As for tankmates I would keep it as you have it in a 60x18x18, maybe something else with them if you go bigger. The Gourami will probably end up being an Ex-Gourami as the Oscars grow but hey you reckon he's a troublemaker anyway :)

Good Luck :grin:

Thanks for your replies folks, 60x18x18 fits the alcove so I'll probably go for that. 3 4ft tubes is more than I had expected,
but I'll go with that since it is based on experience.

I'm curious what people mean by a cannister, is this a fluval type unit or something different. If different can anyone recommend a manufacturer or product please, so that I can do some research.

I think its 50/50 whether the gourami ends up as lunch, he is totally fearless and attacks anything smaller than the Oscars.
The reason he's in there is that he killed one of my Archer fish, which was twice his size & 4x as expensive @ £12.
He gets lots of exercise, particulary when he tries to steal the Oscar's food, but after month is unmarked as yet.
I've read that he will eventually reach around 8" in size so he may survive, if he becomes too big a mouthful.

Cheers

Andy

Yeah your on the right lines about the canister filter. It's anything thats like the fluvals.
the canister is just assioated to the filter holding bit.

Hi Davy,
Thanks for clarifying things, I'll probably stick to the original plan and have both, as all the canister units I have, have become blocked at some point.
Any idea on the price of a suitable fluval type unit, the undergravel unit is about £12-15 at my local stockist (Wentworth Garden Centre, S.Yorks).

Congratulations on the web site by the way, its really friendly and easy to use.

Andy

Thanks for the comp.

If you ever have an suggestion or requests for the site just ask it's the only way I keep on a straight line.

Oh and if you've more money than sense send me some so I can upgrade the hosting of the site. :thumbs:

Fluvals. errrmmm. I have a hagen account so hang on...

Right I've looked at the book.
For the new fluval plus 4 the rrp is £47 :0 A bigger 304 external would go for £70-90 depending if you catch it on discount.
UGF filters are always cheep cos there only thin plastic with a pipe.
You can always start with the UGF then save up and get the 304. :)

Personally I'd go with Eheim, or Via Aqua cannister filter instead of a Fluval. I just bought a Fluval 404 to try the brand out and I can tell you I won't be buying another one!! I run Fluval, Via Aqua, Atman Eheim and Otto cannister filters and the Fluval does a good job as a doorstop!! All the others are OK though the Otto is a bit of a bugga to get primed at times :) Bit like me , oh no, got that wrong, I am a bit of a bugga when I get primed :) "_

Think you've said enough about yourself, so I don't need to add anything:laugh:

If you bought one of the new fluval external they are crap. The old ones are fine. :)
If I had the choice between fluval and ehiem, Ehiem would win :p  The only prob is that they cost twice as much as the fluvals. :(

Are the new ones the ones with the corrugated hoses ? If so then thats what I bought and yes I agree they are crap! The filters crap, the hoses are crap the clips are crap, the valves are crap the box it comes in is crap the instructin book is crap even the bit of sticky tape holding the box closed is crap! So yes Davy I agree :) Oh yes, almost forgot the priming thingy and the aqua stop system are both CRAP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back