Aquarium support.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mjwoodman

Reaction score
Hello

I'm building a bookcase which incorporates a 90 litre (24 [american] gallon) tank with dimensions: 600 x 300 x 500 mm . I have callulated the total weight to be supported, including water, frame, glass and gravel, to be 117 kg. Can anyone advise whether this weight can be supported by a saligna hardwood shelf ( a type of eucalyptus) 38 mm thick, 305 mm deep and spanning 718 mm from cleat to cleat? or will this require additional intermediary support?

Im not a carpenter and i suck at math but my dad built me a stand out of wood for a 20 gallon and he reinforced the stand with some steel rods running underneath. If worried about the weight doing so wont hurt.

That would be about 1 1/2 inches thick, what is supporting the self (underneath) ?
That's my query. Do I need further support? At the moment, it's designed to sit on cleats at each side across a span of 718 mm (2' 4¼"), being 38 mm (1½") thick. I'm having second thoughts as to whether this will suffice.

Depends on how strong the cleats are, the shelf itself is good, my 55 gallon tank shelf is 1 inch thick but is supported by a wooden stand and not cleats. I have seen the plastic one snap in half and the metal one bend. Your at around 200 pounds in just water weight alone.

Depends on how strong the cleats are, the shelf itself is good, my 55 gallon tank shelf is 1 inch thick but is supported by a wooden stand and not cleats. I have seen the plastic one snap in half and the metal one bend. Your at around 200 pounds in just water weight alone.
Thanks for the reply. The cleats are: 12" x 3" x 3/4" and screwed to each side of the inside of the carcass.

I would take out the shelves below it and run two supporting boards one on each side so the shelf sits on them.

You would definitely have to have some sort of support. Metal or wood, which ever your choose. It’s hard to make a good looking stand, that doesn’t have anything underneath it.

As @Retired Viking said, you will be supporting around 200lb of water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back