aquarium salt

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have mentioned my sick betta. i have done water changes. and last night i put aquarium salt in with the betta because he had a white spot- ich? i made the temp at 86.
today he is staying upright rather leaning on a leaf or marble.
hope that is a good sign. how long to leave salt in his water?

Aquarium salt can be kept in for two weeks. Definitely not more than 4 weeks as this can damage the kidneys of freshwater fish.

If your betta is kept alone and only has one white spot it is very unlikely that he has ich so return the temperature to 78-80°. The use of salt and heat together will reduce the oxygen levels in the water which can be problematic.

Post a clear photo of the fish showing the spot.

salt doesn't treat white spot.

post pictures of the fish so we can confirm white spot.

to treat white spot, either use heat (30C/ 86F for 2 weeks) or chemical medications, but not both because you can kill the fish.

thanks Naught. and Colin
i am happy to say that my betta is better. he even started eating again. i thought for sure he would die.

after starts of getting better and going back down, my poor betta died today. he was the most beautiful fish. :(
what should i do with the tank, heater-and filter as far as disinfecting? i would like another betta , but i need to do something different next time. anyone have ideas where i failed?
my fish was a Petco prisoner. what is the best source for bettas- if i decide to get another?

to treat white spot, either use heat (30C/ 86F for 2 weeks) or chemical medications, but not both because you can kill the fish.

Raising the salinity does actually help in treating ich as the parasites do not tolerate it well. It also serves as a mild astringent to assist in healing wounds left by the parasite. It reduces stress in the fish and improves gill function so fish can breathe better in increased heat which reduces oxygen. Along with aquarium salt, add a bubbler to increase aeration.

after starts of getting better and going back down, my poor betta died today. he was the most beautiful fish. :(
what should i do with the tank, heater-and filter as far as disinfecting? i would like another betta , but i need to do something different next time. anyone have ideas where i failed?
my fish was a Petco prisoner. what is the best source for bettas- if i decide to get another?
I'm sorry to hear that.

If you want to put another betta in the tank you have 2 choices
Throw away the substrate & decor and filter media, replace the media, get new substrate/decor than do a fishless cycle. This will allow time for any pathogens to die out as there will be no fish to infect.
If it was just whitespot that he had, I would just leave the tank running for 2 weeks, and maybe add fish food a couple of times to keep the bacteria fed. The stage 3 whitespot parasite can't live very long without a fish to infect. After the two weeks, just do a big water change before getting another betta.

I'll have to leave it for American members for places to buy bettas.

I’m so sorry. Take your time and when you’re ready, get another beautiful betta.

after starts of getting better and going back down, my poor betta died today. he was the most beautiful fish.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Raising tank temperature to 86F for about two weeks can be effective, but extra aeration may be required and caution is advised when also using salt as both may be fatal for ich, but are also a bit tough on fish (and many plants don't tolerate salt well at all. For reference here's an article on salt that our friend and fellow fishkeeper Byron wrote:

I'm sorry for your loss.
Raising tank temperature to 86F for about two weeks can be effective, but extra aeration may be required and caution is advised when also using salt as both may be fatal for ich, but are also a bit tough on fish (and many plants don't tolerate salt well at all. For reference here's an article on salt that our friend and fellow fishkeeper Byron wrote:
True about the plants. Mine wasn’t planted at the time.

I'm sorry to hear that.

If you want to put another betta in the tank you have 2 choices
Throw away the substrate & decor and filter media, replace the media, get new substrate/decor than do a fishless cycle. This will allow time for any pathogens to die out as there will be no fish to infect.
If it was just whitespot that he had, I would just leave the tank running for 2 weeks, and maybe add fish food a couple of times to keep the bacteria fed. The stage 3 whitespot parasite can't live very long without a fish to infect. After the two weeks, just do a big water change before getting another betta.

I'll have to leave it for American members for places to buy bettas.
thank you. where are you from? :)

I'm sorry for your loss.
thanks!

In the article, they state Ich can be treated with salt when used in conjunction with heat or chemicals. The heat or chemicals are killing the parasite, not the salt.

Salt does not kill white spot. White spot lives in fresh, brackish and salt water. If salt killed white spot parasites, it wouldn't occur in marine tanks, and pet shops would tell you to salt the tank if your fish get white spot.

Pet shops don't tell you to add salt to treat white spot. They sell you chemicals that contain Malachite Green or Copper Sulphate. These are the same chemicals they use in their own tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back