aquarium safe silicone

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
first of all, thank you everyone for being such a big help and answering all my questions on here. this forum rocks!

in a previous post i was discussing what decorations to put in my tank. someone suggested using PVC pipe with gravel siliconed to the outside. i was thinking of doing this with a coffee mug in my hospital tank for a hiding place (another suggestion from my hospital tank post).

what kind of silicone is safe for the aquarium? if anyone could give me a specific type or even a specific brand and type that would be great. i live in the U.S. if that means anything as far as what's available to me. thanks!

- kip

Well, I am the one with the PVC cave. I did go out and buy aquarium safe silicone. It is much more expensive than regular silicone, but I did it just to be safe. Apparently you can get the other kind, just as long as it says 100% silicone, and nothing else. If you happen to get the wrong kind, it will leak chemicals into your tank and kill your fish. (Dont breathe in the fumes either, it burns your nose! I have first hand experience with that!)

cool, so what is it called, what brand, did you get it at the petstore?

- kip

Well, you can find it at any pet store. I got mine at a hardware store, they carry all kinds of silicone. Just go to the silicone area, you are sure to find it. The also carry it at wal-mart if you have one near by. I dont recall the brand name, but its not hard to find because there are drawings of fish on the package! :p

Skiltrip, if in doubt try contacting an internet aquatic store via your search engine and then using their contact us or e-mail us facility. Ask.
If they are worth anything at all, they will give you the advice you want and probably look to selling you the product themselves. That's the name of the game. You then have a guaranteed product.

Most reactions

Back