Aquarium quality.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

desertfox

Reaction score
I am wondering whether the quality of aquariums is all the same. I donā€™t mean glass v acrylic or standard v rimless. Are any manufacturers better than others or are aquariums of the same dimensions the same quality? Obviously, Iā€™m happy to pay more if quality is an issue.

Ah, great question! Something I have been wondering myself. I would say the answer is yes, but I can't point to specific brands or manufacturers unfortunately.

I think in addition to the quality of seams and workmanship,the type of glass matters. For example, "low iron" glass I believe is more "see through" in color than "regular" glass. Additionally, different manufacturers have different bracing systems which may make a tank more suited for either a "showcase" vs just a bedroom tank, etc.

Depending on who makes the tank will determine whether they last. Some cheap Chinese brands have poor quality silicon and can fall apart after a year or so. Others that use good quality silicon can last 20+ years.

As for different glass, don't waste your money on super duper special clear glass. In reality they make no difference to the clarity of the glass when the tank is full of water. All they do is cost you more money.

I have a cheapo TopFin (PetSmart) brand tank and a super nice UNS tank. There is a huge difference in quality visually. The TopFin tank looks like a 5 year old put the silicone in. Reviews online say it has issues with leaking (no surprise). I would not go back to buying an inexpensive tank just from a looks perspective. The tank is a big part of what shows off your fish - kind of like the frame of a picture. I don't mind spending a little more for a good looking one. Functionality wise, the TopFin tank is working fine for me (knock on wood). So from a "does it work" perspective, they are both glass boxes. One is just more likely to leak eventually and it looks kind of crappy.

That is kind of what we concluded when we put the 125 gallon in its place. The glass is kind of ugly and visibly green, and the silicone job is what it is (fortunately all the oopsies are on the bottom). We decided that when we're old and rich (or at the very least not in school anymore lol) we will pay to get a custom big tank in our next house, assuming we are still into the fish thing.

So yeah, I do think it depends on your budget and what you want visually, but there are definitely differences!

Ah, great question! Something I have been wondering myself. I would say the answer is yes, but I can't point to specific brands or manufacturers unfortunately.

I think in addition to the quality of seams and workmanship,the type of glass matters. For example, "low iron" glass I believe is more "see through" in color than "regular" glass. Additionally, different manufacturers have different bracing systems which may make a tank more suited for either a "showcase" vs just a bedroom tank, etc.
I found one tank that had a two year ā€˜sealā€™ warranty. Thatā€™s more alarming than reassuring!

Depending on who makes the tank will determine whether they last. Some cheap Chinese brands have poor quality silicon and can fall apart after a year or so. Others that use good quality silicon can last 20+ years.

As for different glass, don't waste your money on super duper special clear glass. In reality they make no difference to the clarity of the glass when the tank is full of water. All they do is cost you more money.
Thanks for the tip.

I have a cheapo TopFin (PetSmart) brand tank and a super nice UNS tank. There is a huge difference in quality visually. The TopFin tank looks like a 5 year old put the silicone in. Reviews online say it has issues with leaking (no surprise). I would not go back to buying an inexpensive tank just from a looks perspective. The tank is a big part of what shows off your fish - kind of like the frame of a picture. I don't mind spending a little more for a good looking one. Functionality wise, the TopFin tank is working fine for me (knock on wood). So from a "does it work" perspective, they are both glass boxes. One is just more likely to leak eventually and it looks kind of crappy.
Iā€™ll check UNS out. Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back