Aquarium plants outdoors.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Munroco

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I recently bought some half whisky barrels and lined them with pond liner to make some little outdoor ponds. I live in Scotland and although at this time of year it can be quite warm during the day, at night its a bit colder.

I'm planning on trying some of my aquarium plants in the barrels. ATM I have some hygrophila polysperma and difformis, a couple of giant vallis and some stargrass in one of them. I layered the bottom with small riverstones (Like large gravel) and I've planted some direct and others in pots with garden soil. Has anyone done this in temperate climes and were they successful. I only put the plants out a couple of days ago and I'm interested to see if they thrive or just die. All tips appreciated.

It depends on the plants and if you get a cold snap. I always start chucking the surplus floating plants from my tanks into the pond around April. Sometimes it looks like everything is going well and suddenly you have a cold snap and its start all over again. I don't mean freezing, just when the nighttime temp drops below about 10.

I've put some frogbit in too, I'll see how that goes. I don't expect most of the plants to survive past september, but I'm hoping they make it through the summer.
I'm also planning on putting fish in once they warm up a bit. White clouds for sure (I have dozens of these plus a tank of fry), and maybe some tetras that keep breeding and are taking up more and more space.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back