Aquarium Lid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

faolteam

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi folks i have two tanks 600mm x300mm they have a hood and light but i dont have a condensation lid, a guy i know makes tanks and can do a lid only problem is there is no lip in these tanks so the lid would have to be slightly bigger to go on top of Aquarium Tank and the plastic hood with light would just sit on top of this would this be ok or am i stopping air coming in

Hi folks i have two tanks 600mm x300mm they have a hood and light but i dont have a condensation lid, a guy i know makes tanks and can do a lid only problem is there is no lip in these tanks so the lid would have to be slightly bigger to go on top of Aquarium Tank and the plastic hood with light would just sit on top of this would this be ok or am i stopping air coming in
You can get little clips to hold “tops” on.... B51418B1-B565-4033-AE75-254AC1FD446E.jpeg

yea i have those clips and im using a plastic tray at moment but i find it can fall in even with it was afraid glass might fall quicker see the hood is a tight fit so those clips make it a tighter fit doesnt sit good now with those clips ,

He might be able to grind a small trench, all the way around the bottom of the lid, so it will set on top of the glass.

You can buy plastic support strips that sit on the top edge of the tank and allow coverglass to sit inside the tank.

Or reduce the water level in the tank and silicon some support strips to the sides so the coverglass can sit on them. the silicon should be dry in 24 hours and fully cured after a week. Then you can add your coverglass.

You can make Perspex covers up and put plastic spacer blocks on top of the lids to lift the light unit up a bit so air flow can move under the light.

You can put plastic/ Perspex strips on the bottom part of the covers so they don't fall into the tank or off the tank.

---------------------
If you do make coverglass, make them in 2 pieces. Have them similar sized so one piece runs along the back half of the tank, and the other piece runs along the front half.

Put a handle on the front piece so you can lift it up to feed the fish.

Have a small corner cut out of the back piece for airline or heater/ filter power cables.

Coverglass should be made from glass that is at least 4mm thick.
4mm-6mm thick glass is better than thinner glass because the thicker glass doesn't chip or crack as readily.

---------------------
Make sure you have some airflow under the light unit to reduce the heat from the light damaging the light unit and warming the aquarium water.

You can usually drill a 10mm hole in the top of the light unit to let heat rise up and out of the unit and this will help it stay cooler and last longer. I say last longer because most plastics become brittle when exposed to heat and light units can get hot.

I am not sure if you can get sheets of Polycarbonate Clear Multiwall Roof Panel where you live. These are used to build green house walls and roofs. I use these on all my aquariums. You can cut them to any size you need and still have more of the sheet left to use later. After cutting the sheet to the size needed, I seal the ends with silicon. About a third of the way back from the front I cut the top in half and use clear gorilla duct tape to make a hinge. I then drill a hole in it for a drawer nob used as a handle to open it up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back