aquarium issue with landlord

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Keep the tank and aquascape without fish?

• Yes, donate your fish and aquascape until your lease is up

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, tear down the tanks and put them in storage

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
I know all the arguments for and against and they're all expounded upon here. This really gripes me something fierce. What is so terribly wrong with an aquarium for crying out loud? All I really have to say is to be considerably more careful in picking your room mates. The one in question is a jerk.

This thread actually got me to register, so I could respond.

If it was just the Landlord, Iā€™d say aquascape your till your heartā€™s content.

However, you should work it out with your roommate, because civility is a lost art.

The real reason I wanted to resply to this is because of your hope to register the fish as emotional support animals.

Donā€™t get me wrong, you find fish tanks in doctor offices for a reason, and the calming effect of running water is proven to be beneficial to peopleā€™s health, but clearly as this story shows, you arenā€™t suffering.

It is stories like this that has me wanting laws removed that protect emotional support animals.

Once your other roommate is onboard with the aquascape, buy some windup/remote control fish, and invite your landlord over.

The Lease specifically points out ANIMALS including fish.
If the lease specifically says no fish, you're stuffed. Fish include aquariums and receptacles used to keep them in.

Get rid of the fish, put any rare plants in pots in a plastic storage container with water and put the light above that. Hide it under your bed and turn the lights off and get rid of plugs and cords before each rent inspection. After the rent inspection, get the lights back on the container.

Clean the tanks, empty them and dry them out.

If the lease specifically says no fish, you're stuffed. Fish include aquariums and receptacles used to keep them in.

From a legal standpoint ā€œno fishā€ does not bar aquariums.

We are now discussing a contract that we havenā€™t seen, but the ā€œno petsā€ clause is specifically going to refer to the living animals unless there is additional terms about associated equipment.

There might be a clause about plants, electrical equipment, or something else that can cover this, and almost every rental contract has some loophole to get rid of unwanted renters.

However, Iā€™ve known people who have used aquariums for decoration pieces in no pet rental units.

You are correct... Judging by the Landloard's personality, he is going to go strictly by what the lease states nothing more, nothing less. It says "fish" and other animals... Nothing about tanks, aquariums, aquascapes, terrariums or vivariums, small water falls, etc.

I can not keep anything under my bed. It is too small.

About the ESA argument... I sincerely believe that I am suffering without my fish... I have kept fish for most of my life.

By the way... Maybe this is not an important issue but I recently found out that the Landlord himself is an aquaponics hobbyist... He has Talapia in a 3,000 gallon pond/tank at his home, but he told me that his fish are not his pets as he never looks at them and just uses them for his aquaponics to grow plants.

Oh well... The world we live in is something else... Reality is always stranger than fiction.

He has Talapia in a 3,000 gallon pond/tank at his home, but he told me that his fish are not his pets as he never looks at them and just uses them for his aquaponics to grow plants.
He likes plants. Find out what sort of plants he grows and show an interest in aquaponics.
Perhaps ask him if you can have a planted aquarium in your room but no fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back