Aquarium glass with crack on glass what to do?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jdel27

Reaction score
Hi guys,
so the other day I left my 5year old with his grandma, only god knows what happened whilst I was gone.
But came back and noticed fish were moved around. Basically my son decided to get into the tank and move some fish around with a silver spoon I have now noticed a massive scratch inside the tank glass.
It looks really deep and I’m completely beside myself I’ve only had my tank end of last year.
Anybody know how I can fix my glass inside tank.
I’m scared it will burst open.

hopefully you guys can see my photos with the crack.

Any advice really be appreciated

Attachments

• C983210D-A3D9-4E08-BBC6-6C84DC3B0806.jpeg
    C983210D-A3D9-4E08-BBC6-6C84DC3B0806.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 15E7AF3B-76C2-43ED-B72E-F7D3A45EBA3F.jpeg
    15E7AF3B-76C2-43ED-B72E-F7D3A45EBA3F.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 110
Many years ago I had a tank that cracked all the way through, I ended up taking it to a replacement window place and they cut me a new piece of glass and I used an aquarium repair clear sealant, They sell repair kits now that may take care of it.

@Colin_T I know has answered some of these threads before. I hope he gets you an answer soon.

Omg I’m so upset. My son the destroyer has done it again. Upto mischief. I’m going to have a look online see what I can do.
I wouldn’t know how to put the glass back together
Will go to maiden head aquatics see if they can help me tomorrow.

Here is the length of the scratch and I really hope it don’t crack on me while I’m asleep

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 82
Do you have another tank you could transport the fish to?

Depends....does it look like it has gone all the way through? Is there water starting to seep through the crack?

No my glass is about 8mm thick just under a cm. It’s like a hair line crack but very visible and you can actually feel the line.

Just put a patch on it. Get a piece of glass that is the same thickness as the glass on the tank (8mm I think you said it was). The glass patch should be several inches longer and wider than the scratch. If it's a long scratch, I usually have a patch that goes from the top of the tank to the bottom.

The glass patch goes inside the aquarium.

Smooth the edges of the glass patch with some fine sand paper on a sanding block (piece of wood). Use a sanding block so you don't cut your hand. The glass shop should be able to smooth the edges down for you. They don't need to be bevelled but they should be smoothed off so they aren't sharp.

Wash the glass patch with warm soapy water, rinse well with tap water, and then dry it. Put it somewhere safe.

Move the fish, heater, filter and plants into another tank or plastic storage container.

Gravel clean the substrate and drain the tank.

Dry the glass where the scratch is.

Use some glass silicon to spread over the crack and on the patch.

Push the patch firmly onto the aquarium glass where the scratch is. Try to get as much air out from between the glass.

Run some silicon around the edge of the patch.

Allow it to dry for a week.

Turn the aquarium around so the scratch and patch are on the back pain of the tank.

I'd replace it. It's not a difficult job. Loads of good videos on youtube showing how. It may last for years without replacing or patching or it may snap at any time. For peace of mind if nothing else I'd have a new pane of glass.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back