Aquarium Frame

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tantrix

Reaction score
Hello all; I just acquired a 100 gallon free! The dimensions are 60x19x20 and it is 1/2" glass. My question is ; is there is some of the top framing missing. where can I get more OR can this aquarium be ok without top framing at all? See pics below.

Ok this is the aquarium. It was really raining so that's why the ground is wet :)
Picture002.jpg

Here you see the glass thickness...it's 1/2"
Picture003-1.jpg

And here is the trim...it appears to be decorative not structural.
Picture004.jpg

Thank you all in advance for your input.

does it have a lid?

Depending on how handy you are you could make something similer to this
to sit on top like this

does it have a lid?

Depending on how handy you are you could make something similer to this
to sit on top like this

I was going to do that...with 1/4" plexi top and then a custom canopy. But the plexi needs to rest on the inner lip of the aquarium trim. That's why I need to replace it OR find an alternative.

if the canopy will cover the black bit you could cut what you have and place a section or sections where the gap is to support the plexi.

I have a tank much like yours Tantrix.

It is 6 feet long and almost 2 feet deep with a mere 16 inches front to back. When I filled it, the tank bowed out so much along that long 6 feet that I drained it rather quickly to remove the stress of all that water. The glass had bowed out more than an inch in the middle of that 6 foot span. What I did next was to create a simple frame from 1x2 inch lumber with a couple of front to back cross pieces at the 2 foot and 4 foot points. I actually created a mortise and tenon joint where the cross pieces joined the front and back pieces of my frame. The end result was quite simple. I slipped the frame in place over the glass, with no real attachment point. The cross braces kept the frame from slipping down over the glass too far and kept the glass from bowing outward. I cannot measure any deflection of my own half inch glass now that I have that frame on my tank.

I would not simply fill your tank unless it stays in proper shape when you do that. Having a glass front or back blow out due to excessive water pressure load is something I would want to avoid. I am sure there are tank manufacturers that will sell the frame pieces if you are willing to pay their prices. I have seen such things for smaller tanks at one of my LFS. The price was quite high to buy a plastic frame that might contain $0.50 of plastic. They were asking about $20 for that simple piece of plastic. In the UK think of it as 50p of plastic costing 20 pounds when formed into a tank frame.

Why not simply build a frame out of cheap 1x2 lumber and stain or paint the final product a color that you like? It will be strong enough to hold your tank in its proper shape, will be a nice complement to your tank and its cover, and it is something you can do with minimal tools and even minimal woodworking skills. If you build your own hood, you can even use the frame you have built to give you a perfect fit and a perfect match to that hood.

I have a tank much like yours Tantrix.

It is 6 feet long and almost 2 feet deep with a mere 16 inches front to back. When I filled it, the tank bowed out so much along that long 6 feet that I drained it rather quickly to remove the stress of all that water. The glass had bowed out more than an inch in the middle of that 6 foot span. What I did next was to create a simple frame from 1x2 inch lumber with a couple of front to back cross pieces at the 2 foot and 4 foot points. I actually created a mortise and tenon joint where the cross pieces joined the front and back pieces of my frame. The end result was quite simple. I slipped the frame in place over the glass, with no real attachment point. The cross braces kept the frame from slipping down over the glass too far and kept the glass from bowing outward. I cannot measure any deflection of my own half inch glass now that I have that frame on my tank.

I would not simply fill your tank unless it stays in proper shape when you do that. Having a glass front or back blow out due to excessive water pressure load is something I would want to avoid. I am sure there are tank manufacturers that will sell the frame pieces if you are willing to pay their prices. I have seen such things for smaller tanks at one of my LFS. The price was quite high to buy a plastic frame that might contain $0.50 of plastic. They were asking about $20 for that simple piece of plastic. In the UK think of it as 50p of plastic costing 20 pounds when formed into a tank frame.

Why not simply build a frame out of cheap 1x2 lumber and stain or paint the final product a color that you like? It will be strong enough to hold your tank in its proper shape, will be a nice complement to your tank and its cover, and it is something you can do with minimal tools and even minimal woodworking skills. If you build your own hood, you can even use the frame you have built to give you a perfect fit and a perfect match to that hood.

I was told that seeing that there was no cross piece(s) that the frame was only decorative. If I tried to do it your way with the 1x2 construction how would I have my glass top? Plus, wouldn't the wood need to be treated so it doesn't warp?Could you post some pics of what you did to yours?

When I was done coloring the wood to suit me, I treated that wood with clear varnish to waterproof it. The glass tops in my tank simply sit atop the cross braces. It is nothing fancy but it works and gives me a nice custom look since the same stain and wood was used to frame the bottom of the tank with a decorative frame. I also used the same stain to color the home made hood over my tank. It is a typical box shaped hood with light strips mounted in it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back