Aquarium cleanliness...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LEGENDARY70

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been getting some algae looking stuff on my tank walls. I have been using algae remover from top fin. Dont think it works well.

Do snails keep the glass clean of algae? What advice do yall have for me? I have a 10 and 20 gallon tanks. The 10 gallon actually has much less algae build up but it does have a snail. IDK.

thx

Algae is most often caused by an imbalance in lighting and nutrients.
This can be fixed without chemicals.
How long is your light on?
Can you post a picture of the algae?
The snails will help but there are better ways to combat algae.

Algae is completely normal and natural to live in aquariums, unless it's taking over or looking awfully unsightly in my opinion it should just be left. I literally just wipe down the front and sides of my tank once a week (or not) and leave the rest. Don't use chemicals to do a job that takes 30 seconds to do by hand

I leave the light on all day. some tell me to leave it on and others to turn off at night? Yeah I will get a snail and just wipe it off with razor or cc. thank u

Ideally aquarium lighting should be turned on for no more than 8 hours a day, especially if the lighting cannot be dimmed or is exceptionally bright (as is the case more often than not thesedays)

Fish need a routine just like any other living thing...they need time in "daylight" and they need extended dark time to rest and to sleep

Even the use of blue "moonlight" lighting is not really recommended.

Extended lighting times will inevitably encourage algae excess, even in aquariums with living plants. Natural sunlight whilst artificial lighting is off in the afternoon/evening will act just as if the fish were in the wild, a gradual light reduction to darkness.

I clean the algae off every now and then but like... Its a pretty normal and actually a healthy thing in most tanks. This is some algaes. There are a few like black beard algae which is just very invasive and ugly.
Common turf like BGA is totally fine.
In my profile picture you can see there is some algae on the rock. Imo it actually adds a bit of color and looks really nice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back