Aquarium Bulbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheAquariumGuy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently saw a post on here which stated using clip on lights for an aquarium. I understand that some of the reptile or sunlight mimicking bulbs cost upwards of £40 per bulb. Could anyone recommend a cheap alternative for use in a planted tank.

If not would it be possible for you to point me in the direction of a cheap diy lighting setup

Thanks, TheAquariumGuy

What set up do you have right now? I use a fair number of standard daylight T5 and T8 tubes, without the aquarium markup.

I'm starting a 100 litre aquarium build and want a cheap way to light it

The tank will be 60 cm long so I was thinking 3 clip on lights with sunlight mimicking bulbs in them would provide enough lighting for me to crow carpeting plants miss balls or java ferns rooted on bogwood and lava rock.

The only problem was when I looked for sunlight bulbs they were expensive :(
I wondered if anyone knew of a cheaper alternative that works just as well

Ps. I heard somewhere that bulbs with a colour temperature of 6500k work but I don't know how true this is

Thanks, TheAquariumGuy

"sunlight mimicking bulbs".

Although you may be referring to colour temperatures and alike, I noticed you mentioned "reptile bulbs" too. Just in case you may be talking about UVB bulbs (which are required for reptiles) - I do not know of any aquarium plants which benefit from UVB bulbs.

I recommend you use: www.allpondsolutions.co.uk - I purchased my lighting fixture from there.

If you're interested in purchasing just the bulbs (be sure to purchase the correct wattage ballast from elsewhere!): http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-lighting/t5-tubes/t5-high-output-tropical-plant-growth-tubes-2-x-24w.html

NOTE: Personally I opted for two plant growth tubes, and two "marine blue" tubes. The plant growth have a pinky tint, whereas the blue tint really sets it all of. I recommend both together!

However, if you'd like to purchase the same light fixture as me: http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-t5-lighting/black-t5-fish-tank-lights-four-bulbs.html (exactly 60cm and comes fit with the bulbs too!)

Happy to help!

Thank you sir

I was looking for just the bayonet fitting bulbs to use in clip lights :)
Your idea looks great though :D

The bulbs I was recommended had a colour temperature of 6500k and was assured they would grow plants. (I think I was looking in the wrong place though)
I'm looking for a cheap diy solution you see and saw someone using clip list and incandescent bulbs to light a heavily planted tank I thought I would steal their idea but now I can't find the bulbs they used :(

Incandescents can be a pain over tanks, they create a fair amount of heat, rust a bit and start electrocuting people and burn electricity at a worrying rate if you pay the bills (remember that these things are on for several hours a day).

As I said, I'd grab a waterproof fitting and throw some of these in, or similar.

If you're after LED's then there's a whole host of options, but they tend to be expensive at the outlay if you want reliable results.

If you already have a hood, things like the arcadia ones are fine. Otherwise companies like Boyu and all pond solutions seem to be on the cheaper end of the market.

How much are you willing to spend on lights?

That's a very valid question. A theoretical budget would help. People occasionally have very different views of cheap.

LED strips tend to work out expensive for what they are. Partly because the best way to buy them is in huge reels to get a good price.

I am personally trying to get a cheap and efficient replacement lights for my 60l 60cm tank. The ones it came originally with when new got replaced by the manufacturer 3 times in the space of a year and the 4th one failed too. They admitted manufacturing fault but I'll no longer bother with them(juwel tank)

So to cut a long story short, I was thinking to get these LEDs you might want to have a look at if not out of budget but that's the cheapest kind of decent solution I could find. They have different sizes depending on length of the tank. I have LEDs on another planted tank and find them very good.

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fish-tank-lighting-28/led-lighting-1494/arcadia-classica-stretch-freshwater-led-lighting-561962.html

Snazy, love the idea!! ,It could be what I'm looking for I will search around to see if I can find a deal though :p

I have only been on this site for a day and I can't believe how helpful everyone is !!

Thanks, TheAquariumGuy

Let me know if you find a better deal
smile.png

Keep in mind that LEDs can be stronger than conventional T5 lighting meaning too much light causes algae. The lights have a day and night(moonlight) switch but you can't control intensity if it's an issue so pick the wattage accordingly. For my 60l tank I am getting the 50cm lenght which are (18W) version. The arms extend to 60cm to fit the length of my tank. This is the minimum I can get.

Your tank being 60cm long but 100 litre volume is deeper I presume so you may get away with either the same 18W or the 23W version. Also I read they can be a bit pinkish colour wise but personally I like that. Just noting in case you have preferences.

By the way I won't use a hood in my tank hence the model of the lights. I hate hoods, it's obstruction of justice
smile.png

Yer I think I will go for the 18 watt one :D can't thank you enough for finding this :p

I totally agree and share your hatred of tank hoods!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back