Aquarium Books

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xJake

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was given a $25 gift certificate to amazon.com last week from my uncle for my birthday. There isn't much I want off of amazon for $25 or less so I figured I'd order some used aquarium books at their ever low prices. I need some suggestions for books. I was looking for a relatively large fish encyclopedia of some kind I could take with me to fish stores to help identify fish as well as books on planted aquaria and aquarium plants.

I would recommend this book:
http://tinyurl.com/uepyq

I don't have one yet but I plan on getting one and keeping it in the car for a very quick reference in case I see as fish that catches my eye. I can go look it up real quick and see if it would work in my aquarium community.

I went to a Petco once and they had a raphael striped catfish and it was the first time I ever saw one. Luckily there was a Border's(No free wifi hotspots were around ><) right next to the Petco and I found that book there and gave me a very good reference on the fish and I ended up buying the fish because of it. The information was close as you can get to what I found on the Internet.

There's only one book every freshwater aquarist HAS to have, in my opinion: the Baensch Aquarium Atlas. Volume 1 will keep you going for years. My copy is practically falling apart it gets used so much. The translation from German to English is a bit odd sometimes (e.g. the use "notorious" a bit freely) but otherwise this is simply the best general encyclopaedia of fish species out there. It makes the Axelrod Mini Atlas look like something for nursery kids!

Cheers,

Neale

There's only one book every freshwater aquarist HAS to have, in my opinion: the Baensch Aquarium Atlas. Volume 1 will keep you going for years. My copy is practically falling apart it gets used so much. The translation from German to English is a bit odd sometimes (e.g. the use "notorious" a bit freely) but otherwise this is simply the best general encyclopaedia of fish species out there. It makes the Axelrod Mini Atlas look like something for nursery kids!

Cheers,

Neale

I agree entirely. I have the volumes 1-3 and I've had them since christmas, and they're quite dog eared already! The book is almost essential, especially if you need a specific ID.

Yup. Although if, like me, you prefer basic info about lots of fish and to look further on the net and things, the photo atlas if I recall has all fish from books 1-5.

the Baensch Aquarium Atlas. Volume 1 will keep you going for years.
I second that, although a bit dated in some respects, you need look no further than this book for starters.
Regards
BigC

Amazon have the Aquarium Atlas: Photo Index v. 1-5 (Hardcover) by Hans A. Baensch, Gero Fischer for £35 all 5 volumes in 1 :)

bargain, granted its quoting 4-6 weeks shipping.

Amazon have the Aquarium Atlas: Photo Index v. 1-5 (Hardcover) by Hans A. Baensch, Gero Fischer for £35 all 5 volumes in 1 :)

bargain, granted its quoting 4-6 weeks shipping.

What does the photo atlas cover? As in, what do the hardback volumes cover that the photo ones don't?

If I recall correctly, the "photo volume" was basically the identical photos but with a summary of facts similar to that under the text in the regular volumes (temperature, length of fish, etc.). What was missing were the paragraphs on social behaviour, sexing, breeding, and so on. Basically, the photo volume was very like (though better than) the Axelrod mini atlas. So useful for identifying fish, less useful for research.

Cheers,

Neale

What does the photo atlas cover? As in, what do the hardback volumes cover that the photo ones don't?

I'd agree with Neale, I have Baensch 1-3 and I have both the Axelrod Mini Atlas and the full Axelrod Atlas and the Baensch are much better :nod: In fact I can see the 2 * Axelrod books going back on fleabay soon.

Arfie

Most reactions

trending

Back