Aquarium background

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EmJay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need to get an aquarium background for my new tank - just something that sticks on the outside.
What has everyone got? I'm looking for inspiration.

This is my current tank:
Sorry if the photo isn't very good
PXL_20220131_143619522.jpg

Which has a similar background to this.....
Screenshot_20220131-143412~2.png

I don't know whether to get the same one again or get something different this time.

What's wrong with your current one, it looks good to me?
It won't fit my new tank so I need to buy a new one but couldn't decide whether to get the same one or get something different this time

In my opinion, plain/solid blue or plain/solid black are the two best colors to bring out the colors of the fish, plants, driftwoods and all the decos.
Black will give the best contrast for light color fish, fish with red & yellow colors and light color sand.
But if you want something brighter, then dark blue is good.

You don't want to have too many colors/patterns background that will camouflage the fish.
Our focus is the fish and to create something like a river/stream or natural habitat for fish.

In the past, I tried many different colors, sceneries from calendars or picture of plants as background.
But in the end, I find that plain blue or black are still the best.
Even 3D backgrounds are not good matching(imo).

Nevertheless, it's still a personal choice as what @Slaphppy7 mentioned.

Last edited:
I prefer black, in a non-glossy finish. Black construction paper is very inexpensive and works very well; if it does get wet, easy to replace. Black has the advantage of making the tank look larger, and the colours in the tank, be they fish, plants, wood, substrate, will be more defined. Fish also respond better to black.

Personally I prefer no back ground with a neutral wall, either that or plain black. Patterned or textured back grounds are not to my taste. The radiator in one of my earlier set ups really let it down, otherwise the light grey wall would have been perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_3089.PNG
    IMG_3089.PNG
    476.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20211103_165558189.jpg
    PXL_20211103_165558189.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 32
Personally I prefer no back ground with a neutral wall, either that or plain black. Patterned or textured back grounds are not to my taste. The radiator in one of my earlier set ups really let it down, otherwise the light grey wall would have been perfect.
you should enter one of your nice tanks in our tank of the month contests
February (accepting entries now) 31 US gal and larger
March 16 US gallons and smaller
April 17 to 30 US gallons

I always like using a black background, because it makes the decor and fish pop.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back