AquaReef 400 Freshwater Advice - New Cannister.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bigbadphil

Reaction score
So last year I decided to revert back to Tropical from my Marine tank. I have an AquaReef 400. I didn't do many changes and kept it all relatively as it was. I still use the sump and return pump and everything is ticking along.

I think my return pump is either on its last legs or its designed or saltwater. I don't get a decent enough flow back to the tank as I once did with the salt. I know salt water is dense so it has more resistance within the pump and flow easier which leads me to believe that the pump isn't up to par. If I clean once a week then it seems to perform ok but then starts to not pump as much after a few days and it also sounds like a toilet with the water going down the pipes back to the sump.

Anyway... the reason for the post. I have been gifted for my birthday next month a shiny new Fluval 407 cannister filter. I've wanted one for a while and watched numerous videos and reviews on them. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to how I should connect it to the tank.

Do I leave the weir in? (cant see how I would connect the pipes to the existing fittings and keep the cannister vacuum.)

Shall I cut it out and block up the holes?

Its a long shot as to finding someone who has done something similar. I have looked.

Thank you in advance

Phil

An aquarium or pond water pump should work the same in fresh or salt water. If the pump works well for a few days and then slows down, it is probably blocking up and sediment in the pre-filter is restricting the amount of water that can enter the pump.

I wouldn't bother with an external canister filter if you have a trickle filter already connected to the tank. If you want to run an external canister filter in conjunction with the trickle filter, then just connect the canister as per its instructions.

If you want to run the canister without the trickle filter, block up the drain holes in the tank and disconnect the trickle filter. Then connect the canister as per instructions.

I like the trickle filter, don't put on the cannister. Figure out what is wrong with what you have.

I agree with Colin.
If you get a new canister filter, it will also slow down and get clogged after some time.
The same thing will happen to the canister just as what is happening to your filtration system now.

You just need to do a clean up of your filtrations system. The filter media may need some rinsing.
All the pipes and hoses will need cleaning.

Another part that often get clogged is the impeller which is located inside the pump.
Use a tooth brush or a small brush to clean the impeller and the water pump.

If the impeller has worn out, you can just replace it. Usually this is the only part that need replacement.
Or you can even replace the water pump if you need to.

You can use the money for the Fluval 407 canister filter to buy some nice fish for yourself.
If you have soft water, you can get some beautiful expensive Apistogrammas.
But if you like bigger fish, you can try some fish like Guianacara species, Gymnogeophagus species, Biotodoma Cupido or probably Geophagus Sveni(but will be large) and Red Head Tapajos.

But if you have hard water, you can try some Lake Tanganyika fish.
But they are more aggressive and probably not suitable to mix with live bearers such as Guppies, Mollies, Platies which are also hard water fish.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys.

I already have the cannister filter. Apologies, I should of made that a bit clearer.

Thanks for the advice, ill take it onboard and see if I can come up with a compromise.

Thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Back