Aquael Reefmax

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Corydoralover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well i thought i might aswell start this of as next saturday i will be picking up a brand new aquael reefmax. Im just wondering if the lighting is sufficient as there are 3x24w t5s and a blue led for moonlighting. For my stock i was thinking
2x percular clowns
1x pygmy angel
1x sixline wrasse
1x yellow watchman goby
and maybe a royal gramma if there is space

coralwise i was thinking, well i wasnt really thinking so i was wondering if you guys could help me out here
thanks
cdl :hey:

Hello but Im just a beginner :) but I have researched alot but still might be wrong. How big is that, if it is 40+ gallons you would have room for all those fish you could probably fit another one in with alot of rock and WC :). As for coral how deep is the set-up??? I am familiar with the kit but not the demensions and lights. If the tank is 40+ gallons, the stock light won't be engough for most corals. Probably you could keep shrooms and some softies. If you are looking in to more corals, you could always up grade later, because fish don't photosynthisis :)
If you want to get to be a hard-core coral keeper, you should probably get some Panorama Pro LEDs www.ecoxotic.com
Or you can go to www.AquaTraders.com and check out their MH kits. Check some youtube videos and read reviews, but be warned, people tend to hate on Odyssea so it's your opinion when it comes to their products. Don't listen to what other people have to say about the products. Just return them if you don't like the experience. From what I have read you will need to change the MH bulb to something better, but the fixture price is so good you might as well buy it :)
I know you won't need much upgrades on the stock filtration but maybe on the lights.
I will try to keep up on your jounral :)

The six line is gonna be the out of water fish when he feels he is too cramped. The clowns will claim most of that space and may be but holes, but you could be ok... Hard to say until you have fish in.

The lighting is great! You will not need to upgrade your lights unless you are doing a bunch of high light corals. I have T-5s on my tank, they do great.

This is basically my stocking list in my tank, but your adding a pygmy angel. My fish tank is crowded as it is. I have 29 gallons.. you only have 23. Keep that in mind =)

Welcome to the forum btw. Glad to have you with us.

-Tyler

Sorry the demesions were in cm :) got messed up. When I first started I looked into that :).

Well i thought i might aswell start this of as next saturday i will be picking up a brand new aquael reefmax. Im just wondering if the lighting is sufficient as there are 3x24w t5s and a blue led for moonlighting. For my stock i was thinking
2x percular clowns
1x pygmy angel
1x sixline wrasse
1x yellow watchman goby
and maybe a royal gramma if there is space

coralwise i was thinking, well i wasnt really thinking so i was wondering if you guys could help me out here
thanks
cdl :hey:

Welcome to the salt! Glad to see you're thinking about a nano setup! I gotta say that setup seems quite spiffy.
With regards to your stocking:

Clowns will be absolutely fine in that size tank.

With regards to the pygmy, never kept one myself but they are meant to be quite aggressive which is something you need to consider. (not to mention no angel is reef safe).

The sixline is one of the smaller wrasses and I'd say you'd be stretching the minimum size by putting one in your tank but it should be fine once you provide a dynamic rock structure and deep enough sand for her to bury. I don't think however, that a pygmy and sixline will get along in a tank that small. Sixlines love to swim absolutely everywhere and are semi-aggressive themselves.

The goby will also be fine in that tank.

There are other interesting small fish that you can consider instead as well!

Coral wise, T5's are great lights to start out with, you can keep softies, leather, polys, zoas, and even some lps corals will do well. If you want specific corals that will do well feel free to ask, I kept a host of corals very healthy for >18mnths under T5s (before upgrading to LEDs).

GG what LEDs do you use??? Llj says Panorama Pros are a waste of money?

GG what LEDs do you use??? Llj says Panorama Pros are a waste of money?

I didn't say it was a waste of money, I just didn't see the point in investing that much in a DIY project, where there was a light fixture doing a decent job for significantly less.

Well thanks for all the comments guys. so i was thinking about my revised stocking so here it is.
2x ocellius clownfish
1x sixline wrasse or some other kind plz recomend one
1x Yasha goby with shrimp
1xroyal gramma

and thanks for coral suggestions i will probs have the following
zoas
mushies
leather toodstool
xenia

cheers
cdl :good:

You're welcome. Glad to help :)

Llj btw what LEDs do you have or recommend. Anything under $200? What about Odyssea's MH kits

Cory try a pitol shrimp w/ the YWG cool couple I hear :).

If you want LEDs under $200, go for PAR 38's or PAR 30's. You'll need either one or two of each type depending on what size tank you have. They screw onto a standard bulb fixture, but they are LEDs. You can get a PAR 30 with a good marine mix of LED bulbs for probably around $80. Avoid the ones at the hardware store. Unless you want ugly brownish corals... The color temp is not pleasing to the eye.

Now, I've seen these suspending and used mostly for pico lighting.

I'll write more later. I gotta check a few more threads and then get ready for work.

Hey, you copying my tank? lol That list is the same if you went YWG with pistol. I love em, they are a bit shy, especially the shrimp, but the goby is so pretty. They make lots of tunnels so I hope you put your sand down AFTER the rocks.

This was my stocking order....

YWG Pistol
Royal Gramma
Wrasse
Clownfish

The wrasse and clownfish can be swapped which I was worried about. Sometimes the clowns will be butt heads, but id be more worried about the wrasse being a butt head. The gramma will MOCK charge, this is normal, just watch for real biting. I hope you get a good wrasse. When I was in the store I looked for one that was with other fish and more "docile" not getting in anyones face etc. And so far he has been a model citizen in the tank, I could not ask for better. I have heard absolute horror stories about six lines, but feed him well 2-3 times a day and hes sure to be happy. I read that lack of feeding also can contribute to nastiness.

-Tyler

Once again im chainging my stock list lol
2x clownfish
1x yasha haze goby
1xcarpenters flassher wrasse
1x royal gramma
and also what about the CUC do you guys have any recomendations?
cheers
cdl :good:

What about these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12X1W-Cool-White-Royal-Blue-Par-38-12W-LED-Light-Lamp-Bulb-for-Aquarium-Showcase-/110900282905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d22c0619
I was thinking 4 of them but how would I mount them???

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back