Aquaclear HOB 20 questions & problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BleuTheBetta

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello! I made this thread because I just got my Aquaclear hob 20 and I have some questions.
I got the filter set up, filled it, and plugged it in (with out activated carbon), and it worked perfectly. Then I experimented with the flow rate stuff. It’s pretty fun when all I’ve had is a betta flo filter 😂
Anyways. After I messed with the flow, I left it on the smallest flow and went to go get some of my bettas beneficial bacteria. Came back down stairs after around 20 minutes, and my filter had water in it but it stopped water intake and the motor block was getting pretty warm.
Did I mess something up? Any ideas to why it stopped?

Try priming the filter by filling it with tank water. If flow starts , you’re all set.
If flow doesnt start, remove intake tube. Look to see if impeller is turning…
If not turning use an ice pick or small bladed screwdriver, push on the impeller
It should start turning
Reinstall the intake tube, fill filter with tank water and it should start the water flow
Whenever you turn off the filter as in when doing a water change you need to prime pump with tank water.

Last edited:

Attachments

• EFD0CCF8-CF5E-42D3-A67D-12A598CB00D8.jpeg
    EFD0CCF8-CF5E-42D3-A67D-12A598CB00D8.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 5EDB9BEE-CAD0-4561-8DF9-8A94404F7549.jpeg
    5EDB9BEE-CAD0-4561-8DF9-8A94404F7549.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 313C7DE7-35FA-4FF6-A13A-B7B23CCDCF3F.jpeg
    313C7DE7-35FA-4FF6-A13A-B7B23CCDCF3F.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 13
Aquclear filters usually require priming after a power failure or after turning filter off for a water change.

Okay! Since the fish type is a dwarf rasbora, do you think i'll need a sponge on the intake tube?
It doesn't hurt. It keeps small fish safe. Even if they are too big to get sucked into the intake, they can get caught in the inflow. Plus it acts as a little additional sponge filter, keeping large particles from going into the filter and giving the beneficial bacteria another surface to grow on.

While they’re young, I would add the intake filter. Once they’re older and stronger you could remove it. Keep the filter adjustment on the mid to lower setting.

I've never had a fish that wasn't dying or just hatched get into trouble with a filter intake. They aren't that powerful.

They'll pick up a dead fish, but a healthy one swims away. It might be different with overgrown finned fish, but a fish on the intake is a fish that had started floating, even if still alive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back