Aquaclear 50 Making A Strange Noise O.o

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ogrt48

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today my Aquaclear 50 has been making a random churning like noise every few minutes. Does this mean its gonna die or just need to be cleaned? If so does this noise mean it needs cleaning in a certain area? Water flow seems fine

I would give the impellor a clean, as it sounds like it grinding which is not good.

Sorry don't no never had that type of filter, read the instructions.

I have two Aqua Clear filters. Take the impellar out and clean off the metal part by scrapping it. This metal needs to be cleaned every two to three months. The motor works like a genrator and has a magnetic effect on the impellar, that is what makes it go round.

I have two Aqua Clear filters. Take the impellar out and clean off the metal part by scrapping it. This metal needs to be cleaned every two to three months. The motor works like a genrator and has a magnetic effect on the impellar, that is what makes it go round.

Thanks waterboy. I took the impellar completely apart and scraped all the pieces with a knife, the metal rod inside the part with a plug, couldn't get that out but shoved a knife in scrapping it, and the parts I did get out I scrapped too. The thing is, all the parts looked perfectly fine, nothing on em at all but it worked o.o wtf? It's been back up 2 hours and no grinding noises =)
Thanks so much

What do you use as your gravel? I use sand and that is the noise I get when a grain of sand gets in it.

Sand here but when I opened the entire filter I didn't find any sand, just the green stuff. yucky.

Is it still making a noise.

All it takes is just one small sand. Some times all I have to do is dump the water out of it and it works fine again. How high off the sand bed is your up take? I raised mine and have cut way back on the problem, until the Dojo loach has fun right under it digging again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back