Aqua SOIL?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this aqua soil? it says it lowers ph. Base 5.5
My water being incredibly hard in London, my ph is always 8+ (I have now tested with API master test kit)
I know water changes will return it to more of the original ph, would it create a lot of instability? Or just provide a good slow buffering?
I found this version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VZFLRYN/?tag=

But originally searched a well established UK store, which has this brand, looks like the same stuff:: https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...8c5-ba9630b42bbb&istItemId=itxmxlpxt&istBid=t

I know Pets at home isn't the best but i actually struggle to find aquatic stores in UK online as they just don't show up.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't like aquarium soils. They tend to release lots of ammonia for a while and then turn to mud. In my opinion, they are an expensive gimmick and not worth the effort or money.

I don't like aquarium soils. They tend to release lots of ammonia for a while and then turn to mud. In my opinion, they are an expensive gimmick and not worth the effort or money.
There's no warning of them mushing into mud, or releasing ammonia. What a shame. One type says made of ceramic though. That wouldn't turn to mud would it?

Do you have a suggestion for smooth bio gravel material or brand you like?

A lot of people just use play sand or pool filter sand. It won’t do anything to your water if rinsed well first but is good for rooting plants. If you have heavy root feeders you can use root tabs and if stem plants use water column fertilizing rather than fooling around with a soil that may do unwanted things to your water quality.

For high pH water, if it’s because it’s hard water, adding acids to lower pH still won’t remove the hardness. So fish that like soft/acidic water still won’t really have their needs met as the KH/GH is still going to be high no matter how low you make the pH artificially. It‘s usually best to keep fish that like your water as it is than to try to change it. But if you do change it, you can only remove the hardness by mixing with RO / distilled. It can then turn into a lot of work to keep stable at every water change. But if you want to keep fish that like soft water it’s really your only option that will be successful.

I purchased and use this for my 29 gallon i set up 2 years ago, plants and fish are doing fantastic. no mud and no extra maintenance.

LANDEN Aqua Soil Substrate for Natural Planted Aquarium,​

Attachments

• 20220911_173239.jpg
    20220911_173239.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
A lot of people just use play sand or pool filter sand. It won’t do anything to your water if rinsed well first but is good for rooting plants. If you have heavy root feeders you can use root tabs and if stem plants use water column fertilizing rather than fooling around with a soil that may do unwanted things to your water quality.
It still blows my mind that instead of paying something like 10-12 for five pounds of aquarium sand, you can just pay 5 or 6 bucks for 50 pounds of play sand that is just as good if not better.

It still blows my mind that instead of paying something like 10-12 for five pounds of aquarium sand, you can just pay 5 or 6 bucks for 50 pounds of play sand that is just as good if not better.
How do you check if it has any chemicals or anything in it? Should it say anything specific on the packaging?

It usually says non toxic or something. After all, kids won't be pleased if they use it play in otherwise.
Experience of sand by myself seems to be that it does give better visualisation but if you plan on using it to create a high back and a low front then it'll all be levelled in no time at all.
Also I would go for sand with a larger than average grain size to allow for more secure plant roots.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back