Aqua One Oak Style light

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Just_Keep_Swimming

Reaction score
Hi first post so go easy ?

I've recently got back into the hobby after about 10 years but had a very basic/artificial type of tank so having a go at my first proper planted tank and I'm looking for lighting help/suggestions.

I have the aqua one oak style 110L tank that came with a light (14w LED). Not sure convinced this light is enough but not sure what I should go for. Tank having a hood and worried about getting one that fits etc is a concern.

Attaching a pic of my tank (1 month old) to give an idea of plants etc in there.
20210301_175537.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A picture on the back and some floating plants like Water Sprite would help the fish feel more secure. Then add some Ambulia and twisted Vallis along the back half of the tank and it would look great. :)

To replace the LED light, I would start by looking at lights such as the popular NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light.

One possible way to mount a new light: on each corner of the light, attach a neodymium magnets using glue (I would use epoxy). After it sets, place another magnet on top of the magnets glued to the hood. First just put a small amount of glue on the magnets and place it in the hood, this will mark the spot on the hood. Add more glue to the hood and set the light in place..

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A picture on the back and some floating plants like Water Sprite would help the fish feel more secure. Then add some Ambulia and twisted Vallis along the back half of the tank and it would look great. :)
Thanks Colin. I've a few stems planted at the back that I'm hoping will sprout up and provide some background cover detail but I'll definitely look into the others you mentioned.

To replace the LED light, I would start by looking at lights such as the popular NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light.

One possible way to mount a new light: on each corner of the light, attach a neodymium magnets using glue (I would use epoxy). After it sets, place another magnet on top of the magnets glued to the hood. First just put a small amount of glue on the magnets and place it in the hood, this will mark the spot on the hood. Add more glue to the hood and set the light in place..
Hi Mark

Appreciate the suggestion, that seems like a decent light (from my limited knowledge) and a very reasonable price but is their a PAR rating I should be aiming for?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 6 year old aqua one (different model) and the light that came with it is fine. I don't even run it at 100%. Your tank and plants look fine. No point in spending money to fix something that doesn't appear to be broken :dunno:

How is the tank stocked? Tiger barbs, neons, a betta ?

How many of each?

I have a 6 year old aqua one (different model) and the light that came with it is fine. I don't even run it at 100%. Your tank and plants look fine. No point in spending money to fix something that doesn't appear to be broken :dunno:
Yh suppose thats my point/question is the stock one any good or not?!

It only has an on/off button so 100% is my only option or a weird blue.

Hi Mark

Appreciate the suggestion, that seems like a decent light (from my limited knowledge) and a very reasonable price but is their a PAR rating I should be aiming for?

Par ratings seem difficult to find, at least for me. If anyone knows of a website with par rating, please let us know.

I bought a Finnex Stringray 2 based on Girl Talks Fish review, it was much better than the first version. She used a par meter for the comparison.

EDIT. The amazon page does have par rating for the Nicrew in air, no water ratings
Mark

Last edited:
Not good....TB's are highly aggressive, especially in low numbers like you have, and 2 bettas should not be in the same tank.
I've had tigers before and find if you keep them in a decent group they're fine. Mine have proved that way and only ever chase eachother. Definitely my favourite aquarium fish.

I should have mentioned they're female bettas and no issues with them either.

Par ratings seem difficult to find, at least for me. If anyone knows of a website with par rating, please let us know.

I bought a Finnex Stringray 2 based on Girl Talks Fish review, it was much better than the first version. She used a par meter for the comparison.

EDIT. The amazon page does have par rating for the Nicrew in air, no water ratings
Mark
Yeah think that's where I'm struggling. Not really sure what par rating I should even be aiming for, even if I had the stats for mine.

Lighting I find is the hardest topic with fish keeping.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back