Aqua One Aqua Start 620

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rhysiboy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi as some of you know i have an aquaone tank. As im starting to add corals im starting to become more and more aware that 36watts of pc ligting might not be the best lgithing if i want something like an LPS coral or two soo was wondering if anyone knows of any links or threads of how to plonk in more lighting into the stock hood. seems like it would be dificult as the hood is an awkward length (just under 24") and tight on space so relocating the ballast may need to be done. The only problem is i dont know the first thing about electrics and would probably end up killing myself with electrical shock lol. So yer if anyone has any links please post em i will be most greatful ;)

Unplug everything. Lift the lid off and set it on the table. Get a screwdriver and take off the light cover then remove the lights and all the electrics. Go to your local pet shop and get a starter and compact T5 flourescent bulb. The starter should have all the fixings you need and the bulb will clip into it. You may decide you need another buld in which case you would need a double starter or a separeate starter unit. The starter will cost around £20-£25 and the bulb should cost about £10-£15. If they are more expensive then you're being ripped off.

It is super easy. The hardest part is stripping out your lighting. As you know I had the same tank and you just can't add extra lighting. The only other option is to add reflectors but it won't make a huge difference and it is more difficult to fit them than to change the whole lot. If you decide to change the lighting it would be worth spending an extra £5 or so on reflectors.

oki dokes. Do you think the interpet ones are a good brand or do you think i need something better. Will have a nosey around at the fish place next time and set my goal for saving. Do you think i could fit maybe 4 t5 tubes or would i be better off with 2 - 22" pc's that are around 55w each?

Interpet are great, so are Arcadia. You may find Arcadia bulbs easier to get hold of although it tends to be more expensive.

Personally I'd go for 2x T5. They are nice short double bulbs and you should be able to fit them end to end in the hood. Definately get reflectors with them though as the 620 is pretty deep.

Just a little tip for you...I covered the underside of the trickle filter with tin foil which made the back of the tank loads brighter, otherwise you will find the front of your tank is lovely and bright and the back is real dull. :good:

ooh thanks for the tip well and truely noted. I shall do that in my big clean that i do every 3 months, or at least plan to. I think i will go with interpet because i know that my LFS has those and they are cheaper than arcadia.

Most reactions

trending

Back