Aqua Clear 100, 150 and 200

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
have read a number of postive posts about aqua clear filters. namely that theyre quiet and do a good job of keeping the water clear. now, someone here (is it moe???) often posts a link to reviews of products and i'm wondering where i might be able to search for a review on the above aqua clear models............

thanks!

I have an Aqualeare Mini, 150, 200, and 300.. They are quiet and do work great for the smaller tanks but i have been having problems with the 200 and 300. There is one flaw in the design. They do not always self-prime after a power-outage and could be left running dry for hours before you could get home to fix it. Other then that 1 Mini keeps 2 of my 10 gallon tanks very clear and a 150 keeps a 20 Galllon tank clear. My 200 kept my 29 Gallon clear for about a year but is now starting to cloud up, Same thing with the 300 in my 55 gallon tank ( that is because 1 300 is no where near enough filtration for a 55, but i dont know why the 29 is getting cloudy) So yes i recomend the aqua clear brand for all smaller tanks up to 25 Gallons.

great!!! i was thinking of the 200 for a 20gal tank, though i know the 150 is for tanks that size, but i want to be sure the water is well filtered as i will have behaving plecs and apistos. i'm looking for something quiet. how much space do they take up outside of the tank?

If you are looking for quiet and small then yes the aquaclear filter is perfect. It is Extremely Quiet if you take the cover off and it takes up very little room outside of the tank, but again i would like to say that these filters are NOT recomended for tanks over 20 gallons..

i found that for tanks over 30gal a couple of them (300 or 200)at opposite ends do it nicely. I have never bought one new. Yard Sales are the place to get em.

Aquaclear filters are great, simple filters - quiet and reliable. They are cheap to buy and cheap to maintain, yet they are as effective as any hanging power filter, both mechanically and biologically. In my experience they work as well on large tanks as small tank - you just need to purchase the appropriate sized unit. I ran nothing but an Aquaclear 200 on my 33 gallon community tank for a very long time with perfectly clean and clear water - it wasn't until I switched to cichlids that I added more filtration - another 200. Even on 100 gallon tank the strong flow of the AC 500 makes for great mechanical filtration.

Most of my filters are AquaClears. I have minis and 150s on my 10 gallon tanks and a 300 on my 55 gallon. I'm happy with the performance of all.

I did, however, burn one out after a power failure. The water had drained out of the intake tube and I did not realize it until it was too late.

With all of them, I fill the chamber on top of the sponge with filter floss. It improves the efficiency by catching a surprising amount of debris.

thanks everyone! aqua clears it is then. i may even switch out my old box filter in my ten for a one. as i get more tanks, the bubbling and vibrating air pump sounds are getting out of hand in my living room (i have to turn up the tv even louder than normal just so i can hear!!! :lol: )

MANY_A_MOLLY said:
... i may even switch out my old box filter in my ten for a one. as i get more tanks, the bubbling and vibrating air pump sounds are getting out of hand ....
Hi Many_A_Molly :)

I know what you mean about the noise. :lol: :hyper:

About a month ago I had to buy a new one pump because my old one finally gave out. It runs a box filter in one cory fry tank and a sponge filter in another. These are better for the little guys because they tend to get sucked up in the intake tube of the AquaClear. :eek:

So keep the old air pump. You never know when it might come in handy! :nod:

oh, i intend to keep it and use it in smaller tanks that i keep out of the main living area :lol: i have mollies, so i'll always have fry tanks set up :p

Most reactions

trending

Back