AqAdvisor filter question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

guppy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive been using this for a while now http://www.aqadvisor.com/

my filters aint listed in the dropdown menu anymore for some reason but when i put user defined it asks how many litres they are, i have the
All Pond Solutions 600IF Aquarium Internal Filter, 600 Litre/ Hour
and also on the other side of the tank i have the
All Pond Solutions 450IF Aquarium Internal Filter, 450 Litre/ Hour

so when its asking how many L each filter is am i right in thinking one is 600 and the other 450? which im 100% sure is wrong as it says Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 2370%
my tank is 110litres 80x35x40cm

maybes aqadvisor aint working right today as ive never had issues with it before, if anyone knows the true L of those filters though would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks

oh nevermind sorry i just remembered the 600 was 110l and the 450 was 90l

It's just saying that your one filter turns over 600 liters/hour, while the other one turns over 450 liters/hour. So between the two of them, you're turning over 1050 liters per hour. Given that you have a 110 liter tank, you have about 9.5 tank turnover per hour. Honestly, it's fine. The goal with filters is to provide a place for beneficial bacteria to grow, which hopefully your media and filter floss will do.

The conventional myth in the hobby is that you need 4x to 10x turnover for good filtration. Like the one inch per gallon rule for fish, it's just wrong. Some hobbyists are convinced that more flow means better filtration....and "there's no such thing as too much filtration" - but there is!
------
I'm a broken record on this one!...good filtration is about how well we filter the water, not how much or how fast we push water through filter media. And filters merely help make water look clearer, not any 'cleaner'. Detritus trapped in the filter continues to decompose and pollute the water. I suspect that the myth may have been created by overzealous marketing people to increase sales of bigger, 'better' filters. Large filters serviced infrequently become nitrate factories when it's better to get the crud out of the system.
------
And the notion that beneficial bacteria only lives in filters is equally incorrect. Commercial bio-medias (Ceramics, plastics, and rocks [oh my]) 'brag' about how much more surface area they have compared to the competition. The fact is that the tank itself, especially the substrate, has far more surface area then any media in any filter.

AbbeysDad is right. It’s more about where the bb can grow. I just got a new tank with a little bitty sponge in the filter but a huge empty space. Instead of adding another filter to take up space and be an eye soar, I simply cut more sponge and added it in the empty area. Now I have the same filter but I doubled the area for the bb to cling to. (See, I do listen to what others say). :)

Most reactions

Back