Aps

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hmm now that's gotta be worth thinking about. I didn think there were so many filters about that varied so much but were around the same price. Such a hard decision

Hmm now that's gotta be worth thinking about. I didn think there were so many filters about that varied so much but were around the same price. Such a hard decision

My 2 Ex1200 running my 350L :good:
DSCF3645.jpg

Wow that's a very nice set up you have there. This is only my 2nd tank (the 1st being my 30 gal which i still have running) so I'm still learning a lot. Both my tanks are running internal filters, my 30 gal has a fluval u2 which i find surprisingly good and have had no issues with. Does the job. Same goes for the pf4 in my 55, but because i changed the stocking to messy fish i thought id read up on appropriate filtration for them and the advantages of external filters and so on. everything i have read has said external is the way to go. As iv not had one before i am finding it very hard to pick which one to get. Don't think i will ever pick the 'RIGHT' 1, but il get the best i can.

Says free 'next day' not always as it says.

Wow, it really was next day delivery included. Unfortunately as I wasn't expecting that I wasn't in to take delivery. It's sitting in local PO now, ready for me to collect tomorrow morning :)

I've set up my APS 1400 now and am quite happy with it, although not sure where they got the idea that having to pump it is self prime.

Anyway I've decided to ditch my internal filter once the APS is fully working with a bacteria colony. I haven't used any other media in it as the media supplied filled up the canister and the ceramic rings were in a special bag. My own are loose.

How long should I wait before I can remove the old internal filter & rely solely on the new one? Thanks!

Put the media from the internal in the external, then you can use it straight away :good:

+1 leaving them in the same tanks can tank months, best advise if seperate the new noodles into 2 batchs in bottom tray and top then do the same for the older noodles half in bottom and top, will allow the bacteria to spread in days :good:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll see how much of the ceramic rings I can add into the new filter during my next water change.

2 more General questions about filters...

The APS manual says to clean the filter every month. What do people think about that? I only clean my filter once every 6 months.

Also I've just cleaned out my Jewul internal filter and all the sponges/filter material seemed in very good condition after I rinsed them out, but i do have replacements for some of the standard & carbon sponges. Is there any point in replacing them if the old ones look fine?

Put all your old media in the new filter. Then you know it will definitely be able to support your fish. Take some new media out if necessary.

Clean your filter when you notice the flow has reduce. I clean my external about once every 3-4 months.

No, don't replace them. Keep the other sponges as spares (in case you want to donate some media to a friend, or use it to seed yourself another filter), but there's no need to replace any of your media. The only media you need to replace is floss (cuz it gets gunked up, and carbon after it's been used to remove meds).

:good:

Floss? I replaced the White layer on the top. Was like cotton & all mushy.

Some of the sponges are black & called carbon. Not sure how they can be made from carbon as they are soft. Anyway I used to boil my carbon to reset it. Do people still that? Can I do it with these black sponges?

why do you need to? Are you removing meds?

Yes the white stuff is floss :)

All the blue sponges you can remove, chop up with scissors and put in the external with no issues :)

No, not removing anything. The carbon is just a standard feature of the filter media. Carbon removes more then meds, doesn't it?

Btw I'm talking 2 different tanks in this thread. External is on my main tank, this Jewul 1 is on another tank.

No, not removing anything. The carbon is just a standard feature of the filter media. Carbon removes more then meds, doesn't it?

Btw I'm talking 2 different tanks in this thread. External is on my main tank, this Jewul 1 is on another tank.

carbon removes meds and tannis and will be useless in about 7 days at most. If its the carbon sponges it will just act like any other sponge after this time and provide bacteria with a home

oh, sorry lol. Misunderstood.

Honestly, my opinion is that, unless you're specifically removing something, carbon is unnecessary. Buying new pads is a waste of money.

I have some in the cupboard just in case, but it's not in my filter as standard, and I'm not alone in that. It's up to you.

OK, thanks guys. I think I'll leave it in there as a nice home for bacteria.

This also solves a problem with my new APS filter & fitting my old media in there as it came with 2 bags of carbon in it. So I'll remove 1 of them and it'll have plenty of room for my old ceramic rings. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back