APS external filters for a 350litre tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

st3f

Reaction score
I'm currently using an APS 1000EF filter, which has served me well in my old 180litre tank, in the 350litre Trigon I've just upgraded to. With the stock listed below, I'm wondering if I'm being optimistic in expecting this to provide sufficient filtration for this size tank? It did the job on the 180, but (obviously) with regular cleaning and water changes. What might your experience suggest?

Stock:
1 pearl gourami (to be increased to 2)
1 male betta
3 red phantoms (to be increased to 8)
8 black phantoms
8 cardinals
8 male guppies
4 corydoras
1 bristlenose plec
Nerites, assassins, rcs

I cant answer your question about the filter, but I do see problems with your planned stocking. For instance, cardinals prefer softer water, and guppies hard. Males bettas are not community fish.

I'm currently using an APS 1000EF filter, which has served me well in my old 180litre tank, in the 350litre Trigon I've just upgraded to. With the stock listed below, I'm wondering if I'm being optimistic in expecting this to provide sufficient filtration for this size tank? It did the job on the 180, but (obviously) with regular cleaning and water changes. What might your experience suggest?
I am not familiar with that filter, but I looked it up. It is rated up to 400L. My guess is that the rating is based upon the performance of a new motor and impeller and completely clean filter media. I would lower your biomass (number of fish) given your unit is used, and unlikely to always have completely clean media.

Thanks for the replies. I have in part solved this myself now and upgraded to the APS 2000EF, which is twice the capacity. I realised the 1000EF unit was not coping as it was dirtying up very quickly indeed, and a couple of cardinals have been lost as a result :( The 2000EF has a much larger media capacity and flowrate. I've added a filter booster too, so hoping this should be very adequate for a full complement of fish.

I cant answer your question about the filter, but I do see problems with your planned stocking. For instance, cardinals prefer softer water, and guppies hard. Males bettas are not community fish.
Thanks for this. With regards to the male betta, I have kept two male bettas with the above mix for the last 2-3 years. The only problem I encountered was not with the betta: it was with the phantom tetras nipping the first betta's fins. Once this chappie asserted himself and put them in their place, it's been a happy tank since. The current male betta is similarly playing along nicely with everyone.

I hadn't appreciated these preferences before, but thus far they are all surviving fairly well. The only problems I've had are the cardinals, but I am pretty sure these issues have been to do with filtration/cleanliness.

Usually the more media you can stuff into the filter without slowing down the flow rate the better. Everyone recommends 30ppi sponges, as this is the best type of media for any type of filter (I haven't tried this yet but will soon). I have ceramic media for both my tanks and maybe 5 to 10 percent sponges and so far, they work for my pretty well. The fish seems happy

Most reactions

trending

Back