apple snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As you may know I had one golden coloured apple snail. I decided to get another brown/stripy coloured snail also.

I found them earlier almost in each others shells. Does this mean they were mating or just being friendly?

Well the easy answer- yes. lol :lol:

Without seeing the ordeal its kind of difficult to know cause they are quite clumsy creatures although very sensitive with antenae etc. They may just have been being friendly. The way you'll know for sure is you'll see some eggs in the tank - they lay above the water line so make sure to leave a space of 1" or so at the top if you want eggs.

Usually the males' instrument :p will be left out after the mating and obviously he'll be the one who was on top. You thought rabbits were bad?? Keep your eyes out they probably will be mating a lot more if thats what it was.

My snails went for 1 year without laying any eggs. Fed them some broccoli and in 1 week I had 3 egg clutches :D :lol:

I don't know if it is coincidence but someone else mentioned for me to try brocolli I did and now I'm overun!! :D Would send everyone some but what started off as only being £ for packaging has widened so to stop people getting jealous I may ask for the contribution :) . stix still gets his free tho cause he applied before the deadline :p as did gibbo.

:crazy: :/ :( :/ :crazy: :fun: :fun: :fun: :-( oppppss (can i go back and edit a post and get in b4 deadline lol)

Ok, but how long after the act of copulation before any eggs are lain and how long before they hatch.

Also how does one prepare the broccolli, how much, how big a chunk and for how long do you boil it?

Well I just blanched mine, just take two bits about the size of 1 cube of chocolate boil them put themin and the snails should enjoy! :thumbs:

Re eggs: I have no clue, I would guess a week because that is how long my snails took after giving them brocoli but maybe they already had eggs inside and only got rid of them once conditions ie food were right? I don't know.

How big are your snails?

cryosi said:
:crazy: :/ :( :/ :crazy: :fun: :fun: :fun: :-( oppppss (can i go back and edit a post and get in b4 deadline lol)
If you can gimme some money for P&P ? :thumbs: still work out a lot cheaper! :thumbs:

hehe would work out cheaper than the £3 the lfs are selling them for lol

my orange/gold coloured one is the biggest at about 3/4 inch.

the brown stripey one is about 1/2 inch.

p.s. is the latter one an apple snail or a different species?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back