apple snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi William,

I was told by my lfs today that it wouldn't be advisable for me to get any kind of crustacean because I have some loaches, and they are liable to eat them. Is this correct?

Applesnails usuall get attacked by most types of fish to be honest. Why exactly would you be wanting the snails anyway just to look cool in your tank or ?

I've got mine in a seperate tank and they look fabulous their antenae are stretched out to full all the time - when they were in with the platies they sort of skulked around with only a small amount of 'foot' showing. When they get bitten they'll snap back into their shell (have a trapdoor) Once my pleco got caught in it :blush: :blush: it was awful (he survived thankfully) but thats another story....

Applesnails I think are very useful in fry tanks as they are too slow to get the fry but they eat all the waste on the bottom of the tank keeping it nice and clean watchout cause they will come up to suck up all the fish food floating on the top of the tank (curl their foot into a circle and suck using their mouth the water in bringing the food closer :)

I haven't really answered your question yet though... a lot of people have the idea applesnail algae eater but in truth all they eat is that brown algae which most fish eat anyway, secondly be careful which snails you get some eat plants (ask for P. Bridgesi (golden ones are all p.bridgesi and are a safe bet) :p Checkout http://www.applesnail.net its a very useful/good resource and site.

Still haven't answered it well... I've never tried with clowns my fish and my snails were able to live together although my snails didn't live to their max they didn't show off many of the things I see now with them! They are resourceful critters though and so probably would survive any clown attack just be a bit reclusive :(

The choice is up to you really, if I was you... and you wanted applesnails either have them in a fry tank where they'll eat dead fry/wasted food or have them in a small tank of their own - 5-10 gallons is fine :)

Hope that somewhat helps B) B) Applesnails are cool. B)

Unfortunately I haven't the space for a seperate tank so I was hoping to be able to include them in with my clowns, tetra, betta, frog etc etc.

Haha well I've got one batch of about 50 babies and 3 more egg sacks with about 50 more babies in each :D so I understand why they have recipe page!! I wouldn't eat them myself, but I did try escargot in france although it was bascially just rubber with garlic flavouring :)

I might get some to breed so I can feed the young ones to my Freshwater Puffers - They need shelled food to keep their beaks down, much like Budgies do with cuttlefish. Plus it is the sort of thing they eat in the wild! B)

Ps William, checked out the site - It is now in the favourites index!! :)

William, found an avatar that you may like, if you want to copy it go ahead, but let me know so I can change mine back to my normal one,

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back