Apple Snail - Swollen Siphon

simonero

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my apple snails has what looks like a "swollen" siphon. Another snails had this as well but died. It also appears to be lighter in color than I'd expect somewhat, probably as an artifact of the swelling.

Anybody have any idea what is going on and/or what the cause could be?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I later came to a resolution about this issue. It was penis inflammation and did affect the lifespan of my male snails. Pictures are below, and at the bottom I posted updates with more information for reference.

Last edited:
Any chance of a photo?

If you could answer these questions please, It may give us some clues.

When posting a request for help can you please include the following info

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Request Help

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/422952-start-here-with-your-emergency/

Got photos, will post in another post.

This has been going on a while.  Well over a month.  Last time I checked water 0 ammonia/nitrite, gave up trying to do nitrate at home because it doesn't appear accurate literally ever, pH a little higher than necessary - around 7.4. Time for a new water change.  Can check water again tomorrow and update with exact + kH level.

No chemicals added at any point, other than stress coat after water changes.  No new substrate or materials.  Sand substrate.

No new fish/snails.  Current: a few guppies, BGK (he's in this size tank because I moved him temporary from a much larger tank to treat ich and he actually seems better off.  No discussion about this please, just the snails).  All fish seem fine.

So, it now also occurs to me that this is not the siphon...  I can't remember what side to expect that on.  Either way this thing is literally always out now and there is no reproductive behavior that I've observed or eggs (there is space).  Also, this snails activity levels have been noticeably low.  When I had a roommate who maintained a tank with 40+ snails at all time there was a generous amount of reproductive but I never noticed equivalent behavior..

So even if this is the case, the question of whether or not this is normal still stands!

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

I Dont know what this is, but it could be possible that the snail has been injured... maybe by a fish nipping at it or getting it stuck somewhere, if you keep it away from other fish and keep water optimal for snails then he nay heal and if he doesn't then at least you know you're making him comfortable enough in its tank.

Unlikely to be the other fish, as this was 2 snails (other died) and small guppies are typically not aggressive.  I've never seen one act aggressive to a snail.  The BGK is easily the opposite of aggressive, if anything when it isn't being shy it tries to make friends - 
drinks.gif

Here's a new picture showing him doing something odd, I think?  He's squashing it.  I don't know why it isn't away if something isn't wrong with it:

IMG_1876.jpg

I am sure I have seen something like this previously reported in an apple snail, but I need to do some thinking and searching.
I am wondering if the problem is Mantel collapse which there is no real known cause of and is eventually fatal because it inhibits the snails ability to breath under water. I would say its definantly breathing related and perhaps even something to do with its breathing siphon, although why it would suddenly have gone like a limp stocking I have no idea, unless something had a tug a war with it and strained it while the snail tried to retract it.

Hey all, here's an update in case anybody ever comes across this post looking for answers to a similar problem.

My snail buddy is still alive, and since I posted this hasn't put his siphon/penis/? away.  It not hanging out quite as far as in the pictures I posted, though.  Looking at his shell, it does appear that perhaps his shell is not at optimum health around the opening, which perhaps could be affecting his ability to put it away (per Baccus' comment above).  But, from the novice standpoint of somebody with a just few years of purely hobbyist experience with apple snails, it is not too bad.  (Namely because it is not corroded away, pulled up, asymmetrical or containing any vertical ridges).

Additionally, my other snail has not exhibited any signs of ill health or swelling.  It may be a female so this does not necessarily indicate that whatever is going on couldn't be spread to another male (which is of concern because my other male had this and died).

If anybody who reads this has additional insight, please share!  The more we can learn about apple snail health the better we can take care of them.  =)

Just as a later follow up in case it is helpful for anybody... It was in fact penis inflammation, NOT a siphon issue. No siphon problems were ever observed, and if present were not readily visible. My best guess as to the source was poor shell health due to intermittent feeding and difficulty maintaining water optimal parameters because my location's tap water is very soft (vs when I had apple snails in harder water and their shells were much more robust typically). This affected the lifespan of 2 male apple snails, one living much longer than the other. After increased diligence with regulating food schedule and with time, the issue decreased notably in the longer living male, but never fully resolved before his death. On no occasion was there ever any successful breeding with the female snail, who is alive and well. I can't comment on her fertility, but I suspect that the penile inflammation was the source of the lack of breeding, as other conditions were sufficient for egg laying. No inflammatory symptoms have been observed in the female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back