Apple snail montage

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have nerite snails in all my tanks except my turtle tank and also bladder which I have under control (for now) Last month I had a hitchhiking Ramshorn snail which I left alone and it grew and now there are a few tiny ones with him in my shrimp tank.

I have nerite snails in all my tanks except my turtle tank and also bladder which I have under control (for now) Last month I had a hitchhiking Ramshorn snail which I left alone and it grew and now there are a few tiny ones with him in my shrimp tank.
I have nerites in all but 2 tanks. Cute and good algae eating machines but little personality lol i like the varieties though.

Now your ramshorn population will boom at first, but itll even out to meet the food supply.

I have nerites in all but 2 tanks. Cute and good algae eating machines but little personality lol i like the varieties though.

Now your ramshorn population will boom at first, but itll even out to meet the food supply.
I hope so, I plan on moving some to my other tanks but not the turtle tank, they seem to love snails.

I noticed the Malaysian trumpet snails don't breed quickly at all all so could be better to have those.

I noticed the Malaysian trumpet snails don't breed quickly at all all so could be better to have those.
You don't notice them breeding because they produce lots of live babies (no eggs), and the babies and adults hide in the substrate during the day. The only time you see them is at night after lights out.

Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snails are one of the hardest snails to control because they can tolerate copper and salt by closing their operculum and waiting it out.

I have 1 mystery snail and 2 nerites in my 55g

You don't notice them breeding because they produce lots of live babies (no eggs), and the babies and adults hide in the substrate during the day. The only time you see them is at night after lights out.

Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snails are one of the hardest snails to control because they can tolerate copper and salt by closing their operculum and waiting it out.
Sneaking little devils aren't they :devil:

So i made this awesome DIY plant guard for the salvinia. Thinking, itll protect some of them since i cant have anything else... l close off some floaters!
20200510_154614.jpg
20200510_154630.jpg

A plastic fruit basket lid! Worked so nice, kept the plants from blowing everywhere, kept them blocked off from little snail mouthes...

Oh wait...

This morning.
20200513_110726.jpg

He got mad that you took his food away!
She had a whole entire wafer last night AND some dandelion! Nope not enough, had to commit breaking and entering as well to top it off

Nice setup. :good:
I wish! Turned into an all you can eat snail buffet.

Officially zero plants left in that tank.

I even tried putting staghorn algae covered rocks in the tank.

They ate that too. Something nothing is supposed to eat. I have 5 livebearers in this tank too, and all female. No fry to be seen. Betcha any money i know why D:

Ive been outwitted by snails.

I had the same trouble with mystery snails eating just about every plant except my ferns. They ended up in my bother-in-laws tank. He has only plastic plants :devil:

I am checking into ordering salvinia since I can not order frog bite. Mystery/apple snails are very nice looking snails but they are plant destroying eating machine.

I am checking into ordering salvinia since I can not order frog bite. Mystery/apple snails are very nice looking snails but they are plant destroying eating machine.
Salvinia is a great floater. I like it as long as its used with sponge filters. It destroyed one of my aquaclears lol

I started with a handful, paid $13 for it. Within 3 weeks it covered 3 full tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back